SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truseq RNA kit for making DNA library elisadouzi Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 07-17-2013 07:32 AM
Which DNA Pol is equivalent to TruSeq kit? jlove Illumina/Solexa 4 04-29-2011 10:42 AM
Plasmid DNA Extraction Kit Orochem Vendor Forum 1 07-29-2010 09:54 AM
Successfull DNA conversion by EZ DNA Methylation-Gold kit??? nedoluzhko Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 07-21-2010 09:30 PM
Buying reagents from outside source to replace the 454 DNA library kit lmsiew 454 Pyrosequencing 2 07-07-2009 01:39 PM

Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
bbsinfo

Default The DNA extracted by kit contain only nucleus DNA?

Hey, I am very new, please bare with my stupid question. Does the DNA extracted by extraction kit contain only nuclear DNA? Or it also contain organalle DNA, such as mitochondrial DNA and plasmid DNA?
Thanks

Last edited by bbsinfo; 04-20-2011 at 07:16 AM.
bbsinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
tonybolger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsinfo View Post
Hey, I am very new, please bare with my stupid question. Does the DNA extracted by extraction kit contain only nucleus DNA? Or it also contain organalle DNA, such as mitochondrial DNA and plasmid DNA?
Not that i've used kits, but given the major pain that organelle DNA usually is, you're unlikely to get rid of it without major effort - selective lysing, centrifuge gradients etc.

Even then, you're talking "enriched for nuclear DNA" rather than "pure nuclear DNA".

Plant DNA extraction, depending on the species, also has to deal with a lot of secondary metabolites, which can require quite a brew of counter-measures in the buffers.
tonybolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
biznatch

I think it depends on the kit. Unless the kit specifies nuclear DNA you're probably getting everything. I do lots of RNA extraction and that is the case. I have to add extra steps to get just nuclear RNA.
biznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
bbsinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybolger View Post
you're unlikely to get rid of it without major effort - selective lysing, centrifuge gradients etc.
You have to do extra selective lysing or centrifuge before you perticipate your DNA pallets, am I right? Many thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
bbsinfo

And I also have another confusion. I realized that some people believe that if you mention "genomic DNA" that only means nuclear DNA. But I have read paper, in which people use "genomic DNA" to refer both nuclear DNA, and organelle DNA.
So what is more precise? Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
yaximik

The vast majority of kits designed to isolate just double stranded DNA, which means any kind of dsDNA. Because mtDNA present in larger molar amounts per cell, you get more copies of mtDNA.
yaximik is offline   Reply With Quote