SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
under the hood of Unified genotyper jfb Bioinformatics 0 02-11-2012 11:37 PM
How to deal with no calls from GATK Unifiedgenotyper for indels audqf Bioinformatics 2 02-01-2012 02:53 PM
6-99bp indels with BWA/GATK gavin.oliver Bioinformatics 7 12-05-2011 11:52 PM
GATK: VCF file for Local realignment around indels jorge Bioinformatics 2 10-10-2011 11:15 PM
GATK unified SNP caller error dakl Bioinformatics 4 11-23-2010 09:27 PM

Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
swapnil2188

Default Problems with finding out indels using Unified Genotyper ? using GATK

Problems with finding out indels using Unified Genotyper ? (GATK)

I followed the std protocol of First base reaclibarting the .bam file followed by using the realigned .bam file to call for SNPs and Indels.
It calculates snps but shows an error for Indels -

The command I used is
" java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -I realigned_sample.hg19.sorted.bam -R hg19.fa -T UnifiedGenotyper -glm INDEL -o indelcalls_110527_s_3_1_fq.hg19.vcf -stand_call_conf 50 -S SILENT ".......

I get an error saying - "SAM/BAM file
SAMFileReader{realigned_sample.fq.hg19.bam} is malformed: Adjacent I/D events in read HWUSI-EAS68R:59:1:16:12673:10747 -- cigar: 4M4I3D34M2043N9M" .....

I looked through different forums for this error and its a common problem that many people face. The solutions are unclear and confusing. Can anyone please suggest me clear solution for this ?

Thanks !
swapnil2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Rocketknight

This is a known issue with the GATK dealing with reads from Stampy. I talked with the author of Stampy about this and he suggested that the fault was with GATK, as adjacent I/D events are legal in SAM files. Nonetheless, he added a command line option, --gatkcigarworkaround which will stop Stampy outputting adjacent I/D events in CIGAR strings. It's available in the development version of Stampy, http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~gerton/software/Stampy/dev/ .

Alternatively, if you run GATK IndelRealigner with --USE_SW instead of USE_READS or KNOWNS_ONLY when you're doing indel realignment it will generate new alignments and CIGAR strings, which may also resolve the issue.

I have no idea how exactly Stampy modifies CIGAR strings to remove adjacent I/D events (presumably it just inserts one mismatch in the middle) or how GATK's Indelrealigner deals with them, so I don't know what the "best" approach here is. Probably the safest thing to do is to use the --gatkcigarworkaround and then also run indelrealigner with --USE_SW.

Last edited by Rocketknight; 03-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Rocketknight is offline   Reply With Quote