SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generate consensus sequence with Samtools mpileup? Heisman Bioinformatics 4 10-28-2013 04:57 PM
Samtools mpileup generate different SNP result every run? edge Bioinformatics 8 12-20-2012 11:53 AM
samtools mpileup consensus calls A instead of a gap StefanP Bioinformatics 6 12-01-2012 05:55 AM
Problem calling consensus sequence with Samtools mpileup? Lspoor Bioinformatics 3 10-24-2011 07:43 AM
Generate consensus sequence from BAM alignment Adam Witney General 2 09-14-2011 02:49 AM

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Lilith-Elina

Default Generate consensus sequence with samtools mpileup

Hi there,

I've been using this command to create consensus sequences for my BAM files, as suggested on the samtools sourceforge page:
Code:
samtools mpileup -uf ref.fa aln.bam | bcftools view -cg - | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cns.fq
It works fine and at first I was happy with the results.

Later on when I used the consensus sequence for further analysis, though, I started having problems because one read is enough for samtools to decide that a certain base or sequence is right.
What I would like to do is restrict the consensus creation to positions with a coverage of three or more reads (to start with), but there seems to be no option for that.

I tried using -l and a list of positions for which I know they have enough coverage, but got an "Use of uninitialized value in length" error. Could someone please tell me in which format my list of positions should be? I read somewhere it should be space delimited, but that doesn't seem to work. Or am I doing something else wrong?
Lilith-Elina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consensus, mpileup, regions, samtools