No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Samtools on MacOS

Hi,

I'm trying to install samtools on my Mac (OS X 10.6.8). I downloaded samtols-0.2.1.18tar.bz2 and unzipped it on my desktop. Then in terminal, I entered that directory and typed "make". It says "command not found".

I saw that zlib is required, so I also downloaded that and put the samtools into that directory and tried typing "make", which gave the same "command not found" message.

I'm new to unix but have successfully installed and used other programs (Bowtie, etc.), so I'm not sure why I'm having such problems with Samtools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you installed Apple's Xcode? That provides gcc, make, etc. Get it free from the Apple App Store (big download).

Comment

I have not installed Xcode, as I was told it wasn't was required for samtools. Is it necessary? I did a quick search at the Apple App store and it seems that only Xcode 4, which isn't compatible with my OS X 10.6.8, is freely available. Do you know where I could find the appropriate version of Xcode if I need it?

Thanks!

Comment

Xcode for OSX 10.6 is $5, I think. Its free if you have OSX 10.7. You can still download Xcode 4 for 10.6, and you will need it for samtools or any program that requires a "make" command.

Comment

Originally posted by kriskris View Post
          I have not installed Xcode, as I was told it wasn't was required for samtools. Is it necessary? I did a quick search at the Apple App store and it seems that only Xcode 4, which isn't compatible with my OS X 10.6.8, is freely available. Do you know where I could find the appropriate version of Xcode if I need it?

Thanks!
          It used to be on the DVD that came with your Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by kriskris View Post

Thanks!
            Strictly speaking, XCode is not necessary, but you need a gcc compiler and tools in order to compile Samtools. There are open source tools available for OS X, but by far the simplest to set up would be to spring for XCode and install it.

XCode is only available from Apple, either through the App store or by paying to register as a developer.
            Michael Black, Ph.D.
            ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Solution to make: command not found

If you have OSX Lion, then Xcode does not automatically install the command line tools.

When trying to install SAM Tools using Make, you will get the error message that make isn't found.

You have to open Xcode, goto Preferences/Downloads, and then install the command line tools.

Comment

FYI, the latest version of Xcode doesn't include some standard GNU compiling components (e.g., automake, autoconf, libtools), even after installing the Command Line Tools as suggested.

-Harold

Comment

Follow up: apparently, Autotools was dropped by Apple due to GPLv3 licensing issues. Also, gcc in current Xcode is actually a symlink to llvm-gcc (which doesn't have the licensing issue).

-Harold

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses