No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone BLAST output

Hello All,

I'm using NCBI's standalone BLAST to annotate mRNA sequences from 454 sequencing.

I'm using the "-outfmt 6" command as I like the table format, but I can't get the protein description to appear in one of the columns.

The commands for specifically configuring the table output don't seem to have any options other than displaying the subject id or accession number..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt.

I've not tried this, but there are some title options when creating the BLAST database which will influence what you can get in the output.

Comment

Hello I am using a standalone CLC version 7.0.4 to do blast.
      I downloaded database files from ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/refseq/release/viral/.
      However, the results are weird to me i.e they do not give the identities or descriptions of the hits. Can someone help?

Kaps

Comment

Which output format are you using? With tabular you can ask for the BLAST hit descriptions (although if and how you do that via CLC I don't know). See e.g.
        This is an open letter to the NCBI BLAST+ team to request two simple enhancements which I think would be extremely useful - first and foremo...

Comment

@kaps: Please email CLC tech support (http://www.clcbio.com/support/contact/) since you are likely to get a quicker answer from them than folks on the forum.

Comment

hello maubp,

I am not sure if CLC gives options for output format since i have not seen them!
            I will check the link you suggested.
            I have also tried commandline BLASTN 2.2.29+ but the results have no column headers, is this the usual format?

Comment

Hello GenoMax,

I will contact clc as suggested.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                hello maubp,

I am not sure if CLC gives options for output format since i have not seen them!
                As suggested above, ask CLC about that.
                Originally posted by kaps View Post
                I will check the link you suggested.
                I have also tried commandline BLASTN 2.2.29+ but the results have no column headers, is this the usual format?
                I wrote another blog post about the column headers too,
                In the last couple of years, my preferred BLAST output format has switched from BLAST XML to plain tabular output. The main reason for this ...

Comment

Hello Maubp, thanks for the blog posts, they were very helpful in generating column headers

kaps

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses