Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homebrew/science bowtie not working correctly

I'm running a macbook pro with OS X Mavericks (10.9). I have bowtie installed under homebrew. I also (while exploring this problem) installed the most recent OS X binaries for bowtie directly.

When I run the downloaded binaries, everything seems normal. But when I run the exact same command with the homebrew installation (homebrew of course is compiling locally from source), I get alien binary output from bowtie, no matter what output format I request. Notably, for sam output (not attached) the headers look normal, bowtie just vomits garbage for the reads themselves.

I've attached examples of the good and bad output, generated using the command from the tutorial...

bowtie indexes/e_coli reads/e_coli_1000.fq

...but using either ./bowtie (the pre-built binary) to generate good output, or bowtie (my homebrew installation) to generate the bad output.

I've tried uninstalling homebrew completely and rebuilding from the ground up, to no avail.

What could be going wrong?! What might cause this problem? Help!!

Thanks,

-John
    Attached Files

You'll probably be best off taking this up with whomever is in charge of that homebrew formula.

Comment

Well, I'm assuming that if this were caused by the brew script per se, the most recent update thereof would be more recent than July (I can't be the only one actively using homebrew with bowtie).

What I'm trying to figure out is what could possibly cause bowtie to behave this way. One test I haven't done, but might try tomorrow, is to download the source and build it manually. Perhaps there's somehow something wrong with my build environment?

In the meantime I'm hoping somebody else has actually experienced this and will recognize the problem of which this is a symptom.

Thanks,

-John

Comment

Originally posted by traeki View Post
        Well, I'm assuming that if this were caused by the brew script per se, the most recent update thereof would be more recent than July (I can't be the only one actively using homebrew with bowtie).
        Don't be so sure about that.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "alien binary output"? Just binary gibberish?

Comment

The original post contains a tar file with the two files generated by the two binaries. "bad.bowtie" is the gibberish form.

EDIT: the short answer is "yes", though it looks like structured gibberish, with a semi-repetitive pattern, as though bowtie is outputting compressed records or internal state or something instead of printing human-readable lines.

Comment

Ah, that's certainly gibberish.

Comment

Yeah, and what's weird is that if I generate SAM output, the headers are non-gibberish. So it's capable of printing normal text, it's just ... choosing not to when it actually matters. ::sigh::

Comment

Okay, my computer must be the problem -- I've tried re-building the binaries from scratch, outside of homebrew, and I get the same garbage output symptom. So now I guess the question is, what would cause my build to generate a bowtie binary that can't produce sensible output?

Thanks,

-John

Comment

For anybody coming across this later:

There's apparently a problem after the Mavericks release that under some circumstances causes bad builds because of the particulars of glibc++ and related infrastructure.

The bowtie folks have a fix that seems to resolve this at least in my case (phew!) and are planning a bowtie release in the relatively near future (days, not months).

So, if you're having this same problem, take heart. And if you're urgently desperate, pull from the git master of bowtie directly.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses