SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ERANGE and other packages for RNAseq analysis warrenemmett RNA Sequencing 9 07-02-2013 01:58 PM
Software packages capable of aligning roughly 9000 bp josecolquitt Bioinformatics 4 05-18-2010 05:17 AM
DNAnexus free account: next-gen sequence analysis in the cloud DNAnexus Vendor Forum 0 04-27-2010 11:46 PM
Sequence Analysis Software Developer Cofactor Genomics Industry Jobs! 0 01-27-2010 10:02 AM
Companies offering next gen sequence analysis services gavin.oliver Bioinformatics 8 01-12-2010 05:27 AM

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #201
apfejes

Hi Ka123$,

I emailed it to you last week. If it didn't arrive, it may be that it was too large. Can you check on the maximum email attachment size your email can accept? The attachment was 10.6Mb, which may have been to large.

If that's the case, please let me know, and I'll arrange to host it somewhere for you.

Anthony
Old 10-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #202
eslondon

Default Same log problem, probably silly but still...

When using Separatereads.jar I have no issues if I use only 1 input file, all works fine. If I try to use it in the way described in the example, i.e. using the asterisk to provide it as input several input files in one directory, it decides that it should try to write the output into one of the inputs...

Here is the command line:
java -jar ~/programs/VancouverShortRead/fp4/SeparateReads.jar bowtie /data/bioinfo/302KC/*.map /data/bioinfo/Analysis/mapping/brain/

And here it the output:
Error: Coundn't create log file : /data/bioinfo/302KC/HCT449_brain_s_2_sequence.fastq.map/SeparateReads.log

Any tips?

thanks

Elia
Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #203
eslondon

Hmmm... must be something silly that I will regret having posted... I have the same problem with SortFiles as well... rather than taking in all *.gz, it takes the first one, and assumes the second one is the location for the log file.... could it be a shell/environment issue?

Update: fails also without using asterisk... basically it allows only one input file, and takes the 2nd input file as the output directory

Elia

Last edited by eslondon; 10-17-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #204
apfejes

Hi Elia,

The short answer is that you don't need to run separateReads/SortReads on map files, as the reads they contain are already sorted by chromosome and start position. Of course, if you're trying to do something other than run FindPeaks with them, that's a different story.

Edit: I should probably also add that it's not a good idea to try. These two particular utilities were intended only for use with text format files - not pre-sorted binary files. I've never tested it out on a .map file.

Anthony

Last edited by apfejes; 10-18-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #205
greggrant

Thanks for this list, that's really awesome. What do people think is the best way at this point to map approximately 5 million 100 bp reads to a transcriptome? I'm looking for alignment allowing (a specified number of) mismatches but no gaps. Thanks again for this list!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #206
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggrant View Post
Thanks for this list, that's really awesome. What do people think is the best way at this point to map approximately 5 million 100 bp reads to a transcriptome? I'm looking for alignment allowing (a specified number of) mismatches but no gaps. Thanks again for this list!
I'd map against the genome (you never know) using bowtie or SOAP.

You can look them up here:

http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Software
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #207
greggrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I'd map against the genome (you never know) using bowtie or SOAP.

You can look them up here:

http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Software
Those options won't find things that map across exon/exon junctions. I need something that can map ungapped to the transcriptome, probably BLAST will do the trick, bu there should be something faster.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #208
apfejes

We use a database of all predicted/potential exon/exon junctions in addition to the genome, and then use maq/bwa - it seems to do very well.

Last edited by apfejes; 10-27-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: too sleepy to get it right the first time.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #209
ewilbanks

Try TopHat http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/

It uses Bowtie to map reads and analyzes the mapping results to identify splice junctions between exons.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #210
Xi Wang

Hi all,

Have you noticed a review on ChIP-seq and RNA-seq computational studies? It mentioned and summarized some available tools on ChIP-seq and RNA-seq data processing.

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/...meth.1371.html

Review
Nature Methods 6, S22 - S32 (2009)
doi:10.1038/nmeth.1371
Computation for ChIP-seq and RNA-seq studies
Shirley Pepke1, Barbara Wold2 & Ali Mortazavi2

Best wishes,
Xi
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #211
wuhoucdc

Thanks Sci_guy pasted such a great resource!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #212
sci_guy

Default Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhoucdc View Post
Thanks Sci_guy pasted such a great resource!
Also big ups to ECO, Dan, et al. for the Wiki. I've been on the back foot lately in maintaining this list; too busy in the lab. An abstract deadline for the AACR Cancer Epigenetics conference next year to meet
Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #213
ohomann

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you would mind adding MochiView, my hybrid genome browser and motif visualization/analysis software, to this list.

Here is a link to the section of the MochiView website with three quick demo videos.

MochiView is particularly useful to anyone interested in identifying/analyzing/managing motifs (multiple motif libraries are available on the MochiView website for import into the software). In addition, members of various labs around UCSF are using the software to visualize/analyze Chip-Chip, Chip-Seq, and RNA-Seq data.

Here are a few more details for those interested:
  • MochiView is desktop Java software with an integrated database
  • MochiView has a rich interface for configuring/saving plot layouts
  • The browser has smooth panning/zooming and a very useful data browsing function
  • MochiView contains a large number of motif utilities, including motif comparison, motif position distribution, motif ROC plots, several motif scoring functions, ability to rapidly export motif scoring of location sets or promoters to spreadsheet, etc.
  • MochiView also contains some Location/Data Set manipulation utilities (e.g. set operations and filters)
  • The website contains a tutorial for download that can familiarize you with many of the basic features
  • MochiView will write and publish your paper for you. OK, that feature isn't quite ready yet

One thing MochiView does NOT do is "peak-calling" for Chip-Chip or Chip-Seq. MochiView leaves this to the many existing solutions and is more appropriate for downstream visualization and analysis.

Thanks for your time,
Oliver Homann
Johnson Laboratory
UCSF
Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #214
dan
wiki wiki

Hey Oliver,

I've been working developing the 'wiki arm' of the SEQempire (called SEQwiki) so that it can be used as a browsable / query-able archive of "Software packages for next gen sequence analysis" [1]. The content was seeded from a table on the NBIC wiki [2], which was originally seeded from this list!

It's still work in progress, but the best 'first impression' is probably here:

http://seqwiki.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData

(Lots of packages still need data adding.)

Since setting it up there have been quite a few packages added, mostly by KRobinson but also many others [3]. Please have a go at adding MochiView to the wiki, and let us know how you got on (any good / bad features, etc.).

Cheers,
Dan.

[1] http://seqwiki.com
[2] http://wiki.nbic.nl/index.php/High_t...ncing#Software
[3] http://seqanswers.com/w/index.php?ti...s=30&limit=500 - I still haven't got the query interface working to get proper reports on contributions.

P.S. Perhaps ECO should archive/sticky this thread, create a forum for the wiki and somehow (sticky thread?) let people know to start using the wiki?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #215
ohomann

Quote:
Hey Oliver,
Please have a go at adding MochiView to the wiki, and let us know how you got on (any good / bad features, etc.).
Hi Dan,

Thanks, I actually found the wiki and added MochiView just after posting to this thread. FWIW, the upload image option doesn't seem to work (it tells me that I don't have a proper extension on my file).

Thanks for the great resource!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #216
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:

P.S. Perhaps ECO should archive/sticky this thread, create a forum for the wiki and somehow (sticky thread?) let people know to start using the wiki?
I've been considering losing this thread for a while, mainly because any replies in this thread end up emailing about 50% of the members who have either subscribed or posted in the thread (Hi everyone! ).

The second improvement would be to link all these packages to their respective wiki pages.

As a side note, I don't want anyone to get wedded to the new domain seqwiki.com, as the seamless cross-site authentication with the forum accounts does not work. Seqwiki.com is fine for viewing, but wiki.seqanswers.com will be the only one that is editable for a while. (They share the same database). Let's keep this discussion in another thread, perhaps in that "Wiki Development" forum I keep forgetting to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohomann View Post
Hi Dan,

Thanks, I actually found the wiki and added MochiView just after posting to this thread. FWIW, the upload image option doesn't seem to work (it tells me that I don't have a proper extension on my file).

Thanks for the great resource!
Hmm...perhaps Dan could fix this.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #217
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
I still haven't got the query interface working to get proper reports on contributions.
Here is is finally!

The result is pretty awesome! Thanks everyone for taking part!

(I'll break this down to remove 'robot' edits, which is the reason why I currently have so many)

Code:
SELECT
  user_name, user_editcount 
FROM 
  user 
ORDER BY 
  user_editcount DESC 
;

user_name	user_editcount
Dan		478
Krobison 	229
Andreas.sjodin 	209
ECO		56
Cariaso 	12
Taoliu		5
Maubp		5
Apfejes 	4
Nilshomer 	4
Simonandrews 	4
Weese		4
Wjeck		3
Yxi		3
Ohomann 	3
BaCh		3
Dfornika 	3
HAA		3
Jkbonfield 	2
Ben Langmead 	2
Kevleb		2
Joa ds		2
Dawe		2
Balajis 	1
Lparsons 	1
Jonathan 	1
AlwaysSNP 	1
Mmartin 	1
Lh3		1
Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #218
Y.Y. LEUNG

Default What is the best Align/Assemble tool?

Hi All,

I am a new user of NGS softwares. Thanks a lot for providing such a list. Are there any updates on the information provided?

with so many tools (e.g. in the ALign/assemble field), do anyone has any idea on which tool are the best for use (in terms of ease of usage and computation time required)?

Thanks a lot.

Fanny Leung
Old 11-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #219
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.Y. LEUNG View Post
Hi All,

I am a new user of NGS softwares. Thanks a lot for providing such a list. Are there any updates on the information provided?

with so many tools (e.g. in the ALign/assemble field), do anyone has any idea on which tool are the best for use (in terms of ease of usage and computation time required)?
I know the feeling!

I'm going to start a 'standard operating procedures' (SOP) section on the wiki to document case studies based on various requirements.

Basically the answer to your question depends on what data you have, what you are trying to do with your data, and what OS you are familiar with. If you can supply those details, I'm sure there will be several suggestions of how to proceed.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #220
wuhoucdc

Hi all,

Who have the time to summarize the programs that can be used call SV such as large rearrangement, deletion, amplication among NGS? Thanks.

Wuhoucdc
Closed Thread