Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unexpected cDNA product during library prep

Attached are Bioanalyzer traces from various points in my illumina library preparation protocol for RNA-seq, modified to sequence only 3’ transcript ends. Graphs are from different samples since limits in starting amounts don’t allow me to validate any singe sample at each of its steps.

My question is: what are the high molecular weight molecules between 1000-4000bp in my cDNA samples (graphs D1 & D2)? I would think that if the mRNA template is fragmented, the lack of 1-4k length rna templates (avg fragment length <200bp, graph C) would preclude synthesis of long fragments. And RNase H treatment in my protocol should eliminate long RNA contamination. It looks like there are some cDNAs of appropriate length (i.e. <200bp). Thanks for any ideas!

The simplified protocol is:
    1. From total RNA (graph A, below), isolate mRNA (graph B) using oligo d(t) dynabeads
    2. Fragment mRNA using Ambion RNA fragmentation reagents (graph C)
    3. Select poly-A fragments from fragmented mRNA using oligo d(t) dynabeads
    4. Synthesize first strand cDNA using oligo d(t) primers and Invitrogen Superscript II
    5. Synthesize second strand cDNA using DNA pol I and RNase H (graphs D1 & D2)
    6. Blunt-ending, adenylation, adapter-ligation, size-selection, pcr enrichment, etc
    Attached Files

Hi,

I've seen this as well. I'm trying to work out what this is but can't help you at the moment but it might be nice to know you are not alone. will let you know if some test work out and give me an idea/answer.

Comment

Hi,
      Reviving this old thread to see if any explanation was found for the long cDNA molecules. We are seeing exactly the same thing with a similar, but slightly different protocol (mRNA isolation, RNA amplification, fragmentation, then Invitrogen super-script ds cDNA synthesis).

Comment

Hi,

I wonder if anybody made progress in this issue. It seem to me that at least 4 different people had the same problem. I am having exactly the same problem and would like to solve it. Any clues? Did anybody run an agarose gel from the cDNA instead of the bioanalyzer? It could be a detection problem...
        Thank you!

Comment

linear amplification of RNA is generating long molecules

Taking a closer look at our data it seems that the long molecules are generated in the RNA linear amplification step (using Ambion's Message-Amp II-Bacteria kit), not the cDNA synthesis. The cDNA synthesis actually tends to decrease the proportion of molecules in the 200 bp-1kb range relative to the RNA though the proportion between 100 and 200 bp is the same.

The problem with the aRNA is substantial though: only 7% of molecules were above 1 kb in the original mRNA and 47% were above 1 kb in the amplified sample. This smells like concatemerization to me but I don't know. We are cloning some long cDNA to check.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses