Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAse inhibitors for RNA-seq library prep.

Hi,

I am about to prepare some libraries with precious tissue for RNA-seq. I'd like to protect them as much as I can from RNA degradation, but I'm not positive that all RNAse inhibitors out there are compatible with downstream applications such as sequencing. Most of them state being safe for cDNA synthesis, but none of them mention sequencing per se, and I dont't know if there may be some slight details in the workflow that will not work as well if this is added.

I am considering Roche's Protector and Life Tech's RNAsecure.

Have you used RNAse inhibitors with success in making your libraries?

Thanks!
    C

RNases and library prep

I've regularly used RNase inhibitors on clinical and low input samples prior to library prep with no adverse effects. I've constructed several libraries with and without RNase inihibitors, and have not noticed any decrease in library or sequencing yield. That being said, I recommend you take your RNA samples and freeze until they are ready for use. This decreases RNase activity. Its a good idea to homogenize your samples asap. The chaotropic agent will disrupt, denature macromolecules like proteins. If you are extracting from FFPE, consider that most of your RNA is already damaged and degraded. Not much you can do except keep it from being degraded further.

As an aside, if you have a sufficiently pure RNA sample, don't worry too much about RNases. Researchers in general are really paranoid about working with RNA. RNA is structurally very stable when in a pure solution. Companies have benefited (one especially) by marketing RNase free sprays, RNAse free water, inhibitors, tips, tubes, etc. RNase free water is regular double distilled water that has been checked using an assay to ensure there is no RNase contamination. Its rare (I've never seen it) to have RNAse contaminated double distilled water. Tubes and tips are also only spot checked (don't think that each is actually tested).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses