SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's the best commercial NGS service provider in your opinion? nextnextgen Service Providers 1 10-20-2020 07:39 AM
commercial software in sequencing analysis slny Bioinformatics 7 10-13-2012 09:57 AM
Non-commercial SNP calling soft *#1* Bioinformatics 4 07-08-2012 03:16 AM
PacBio reveals (few) commercial specs Fred The Pipeline 9 08-09-2010 10:39 AM
Commercial providers of SOLiD 4 sequencing? throwaway SOLiD 5 04-27-2010 12:45 PM

Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
lorendarith

Default Commercial qPCR advantage?

While reading on quantifying libraries with qPCR, people mentioned using commercial kits quite often...

What is the advantage of using a commercial qPCR kit (for libraries), e.g. Kapa, instead of a "homemade" mix with in-house qPCR reagents and ordered primers?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
yaximik

None, if one wants to spend time creating a standard and finding a sensitive reliable SYBR mastermix that satisfies the expected range. Standards of different sizes can be simply cloned from one of sequencing libraries and reamplified from selected plasmids as needed.There are a whole lot of mastermixes out there in $200-300 range or even less for 5 ml, which is enough for 250-500 assays. KAPA is not the best one in sensitivity as they claim, as it contains quite a lot of SYBR that inhibits reaction and it consistently produces false signal in negative control after cycle 35.
yaximik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
lorendarith

Thank you for the reply. I was just wondering as I tried it for the first time with our Platinum SYBR green and it worked out well. Did not see any false positives. Nonetheless everybody was mentioning KAPA and it is even suggested in Illuminas tech note, oh well...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
yaximik

I did not say KAPA is bad, it is certainly OK otherwise it would not be recommended. I just thought that paying $500+ for it when something of a similar or even better performance can be found for twice less does not seem smart...
yaximik is offline   Reply With Quote