No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess PCR primers in final product

Hi,

Has anyone ever had primers that were too concentrated for the paired-end sample prep? We are getting excess primers left over after the PCR, which is after the gel purification. But the excess primers were not there before the PCR. Moreover, our first batch of PE sample preps were fine (i.e. no excess primers).

PF

I don't understand your question. Sounds like you got primer-dimer or non-specific products, rather than primers that were too concentrated.

Comment

The whole story was the new PE protocol says to run 10 cycles of PCR and when I first did that, all I got was an amplification of primers because the cycles were not long enough to amplify the actual sample. Then I increased the cycle number to 16 and saw my sample smear between 200-350 bp but in addition, there was a band around 77bp that is consistent across all samples corresponding to the primer peak. The point is we have run similar samples through another PE kit before and never got the extra primer peak. I ran the remainder of that old primer with the new primer on the Bioanalyzer and found the new primer to be aobut 5x more concentrated, but the readings between the various tubes of new primer varied a little.

My question is if anyone has had experience with primers that may seem too concentrated, resulting in excess amounts in the PCR product. Do you know what the stock concentrations of PE primers are?

Comment

Primers amplification

Hi,
        the same thing happened to me. And then, when I cleaned the PCR reaction (Qiagen 28104) I lose the entire smear of 100-200 bp, leaving only some of the band corresponding to the primers. What should I do?

Comment

Hi Suludana,

May I ask what are the lot numbers of your primers in question? When is the expiration date of your kit? Just curious. I had my lots checked by Illumina's R&D and they claimed those lots were fine. I tried decreasing the primer concentration going into my 18-cycle PCR reaction but only some samples had product, and for those, there was no more primer peak on the Bioanalyzer.

Pauline

Comment

Well, actually I was making a handmade sample preparation for indexing. I was not using an Illumina kit, which does not yet exist for indexing. But Illumina gave me the concentration of primers (25 uM) and I was working with it.

I find it very strange that the primers are positioned at about 100 bp and the higher band get away when I clean the PCR.

Comment

I was getting what is most likely primer dimers at around 77bp, that's probably what you have too. But I do standardly put my PCR product through the Qiagen kit to purify it (as per the Illumina protocol) and I don't lose my sample that way.

Comment

Hi,
                why do you talk about primer dimers of 77 bp? How can you explain this size? One of the primers have 58 bp and the other 34 bp. And they are not complementary.

Comment

Hi,

I've been working with the Illumina kits and I am not indexing. I do not have the exact size of the primers but primer dimer was also suggested by Illumina to be what my smaller bands may be as they claim the primers are over 30nt long. I am sure though that primers for multiplexing are different from single sample PE primers. So I am not sure if you are having the same problem that I am.

Comment

It is true that I am doing indexed, but I'm using primers of the standard protocol (58 and 34 bp). The difference is only in 1 nucleotide (I do not have tags on my PCR primers) ... so the size is almost the same ... I see my primers in a position of 100 bp and I don't understand it ...

Comment

I have done several chip-seq with illumina kits and on my last set I also got a product that is about 80bp long that I have not seen before. It is in my blank gel that I amplified too, so it has to be from the amplification primers. My primers from different kits seem to have similar concentrations according to the spec I used. It is very odd that all of a sudden I am getting primer dimers now. Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem?

Comment

I heard that somehow in the gel purification step, if you use the Qiagen kit as Illumina suggested, instead of heating your gel+buffer mix at 50C, vortex at high speed for 5 mins at RT and that somehow helps prevent concatemers. I have yet to try it out, but I heard it works.

But yes, I suddenly started to get these small peaks too, samples are similar enough to what I've run before and we're still supposedly buying the same kits. Weird...

Comment

does the band get sequenced?

I completed my first sample prep and I see a band just below 100bp, I think it is an amplicon product from the primers priming one another. I was wondering if this will be sequenced, because it is so short it may not undergo bridge amplification.

Comment

No, they do not get sequenced. Our only concern is we use PicoGreen to quantitate and it would detect these amplicon products and we may not have reliable quantitation of our insert DNA.

Comment

what are they

so, what is the 100bp band?
                              I can estimate from a gel what percentage of my sample is the "sequencable" smear and what is the 100 bp band, then when I quantify I can normalize.

thanks for the extremely quick response

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses