No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library Construction Format

Hey Guys,

I'm rather new to library construction & sequencing and am unsure of a few things. A little background: I'm using the Truseq sample preparation kit for library workflow, and my colleague is using the KAPA Biosystems Library preparation kit. We're doing low throughput construction (about 5 libraries per construction) and I'm wondering what format is generally best to use as the tube and magnets go. I've been reading that some people use 1.5 mL microcentrifuge tubes and others use PCR tubes both with their corresponding magnets. PCR tubes fit into our thermocycler for controlled incubations while 1.5 mL tubes do not, does everyone follow the exact incubation temperatures? Whats the best approach to deciphering what format that I should use? Or what is the most common tube/magnet used?

Yes-the incubation temps are very important as the enzymes work best at that temp. I use strip tubes and that magnet and my libraries look great.

I suggest using whichever format gives you the best control over temperature, which sounds like the 0.2ml PCR tubes

Comment

Alright, 0.2 mL PCR strips sound ideal since incubation temperatures are vital. Can you recommend a magnet that has worked best for you? If you're using AMPure beads to purify, can you fit the entire end repair reaction along with 160 ul beads into a PCR tube?

Comment

magnet

We got our mag plates from Agencourt Biosciences some years ago. I think they were bought by Beckman Coulter so I would try there.

The adding 160 of beads step is very close and you have to be careful when mixing but surface tension is a wonderful thing.

Comment

I have had good success using v-bottom plates with the AMPure and the Ambion magnet. That magnet is compatible with PCR plates too if you prefer those.

I prefer the Sarstedt v-well bottom plates.

Comment

Thanks for the magnet and tube recommendations. I'll look into both of those magnets as well as my surgical pipetting skills when it comes to End Repair purification. PCR strips seem good for low throughput library construction, any worry over contamination? It seems easy for DNA to jump to another adjacent well with removal of their caps.

Comment

I just am very careful when removing the caps. Obviously spin down the tubes before you open them.

I don't cap them with the beads in there-that should reduce the possibility of cross contamination there.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
                I just am very careful when removing the caps. Obviously spin down the tubes before you open them.

I don't cap them with the beads in there-that should reduce the possibility of cross contamination there.
                Ah I see, thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them a try.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses