Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq on 8 lane vs 2 lane sequencer

Hi, I've been lurking these forums for a while, and this is my first time posting.

I'm running an RNA-Seq experiment that will use 4 lanes and will be multiplexing all of my samples on each lane. The sequencing facility that I will be sending samples to has two Illumina HiSeq machines, one with 8 lanes, and another that has 2 lanes. Would there be a difference between sequencing my samples on the 8 lane machine (all 4 lanes run on same batch), or sequencing my samples on the 2 lane machine (run 2 lanes, then run the "third and fourth" lanes on another sequencing run)?

Thanks!

Running your samples on two separate machines will add a bit of technical variability, but since all of your samples are multiplexed together, my guess is that it won't have a significant impact on your results.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by an '8 lane machine' and a '2 lane machine'. The HiSeq 2500 has two modes - 'high output' (which uses flow cells with 8 lanes; up to 300Gb per flow cell, 2 flow cells per run) and 'rapid mode' (which uses flow cells with 2 lanes, up to 60Gb per flow cell, 2 flow cells per run). But it's the same machine - you just decide if you want to pay a bit extra money (on a per Gb basis) for the rapid mode, which gives you results back in about 24 hours rather than a week or more.

Comment

silverfugue perhaps was referring to a HiSeq 2000 (8 lane) and a HiSeq 2500 (2 lane).

Since the samples are multiplexed it should not matter a whole lot but if one wants to be extra cautious then sticking with the same kind of machine (8 or 2 lane) will eliminate one factor.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The facility does have 2 machines, one in which they run mostly the HiSeq 2000 (8 lane) and another for HiSeq 2500 (2 lane), sorry if I didn't make that clear in the original post. Based on your replies, if I chose to run my "4 lanes" on the HiSeq 2500 platform twice (and on the same machine) vs on the HiSeq 2000, it shouldn't add many more additional factors for variation.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfugue View Post
          Thank you for your replies. The facility does have 2 machines, one in which they run mostly the HiSeq 2000 (8 lane) and another for HiSeq 2500 (2 lane), sorry if I didn't make that clear in the original post. Based on your replies, if I chose to run my "4 lanes" on the HiSeq 2500 platform twice (and on the same machine) vs on the HiSeq 2000, it shouldn't add many more additional factors for variation.
          Well, running your samples in two separate runs will add SOME variability, so I would avoid it if possible. I would recommend doing one of the following:
          1) 4 lanes on a single 2000 flow cell
          2) a full run on a 2500 (2 flow cells, 2 lanes each for a total of 4 lanes)

Either of these is a bit better than 2 separate runs on the 2500.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses