No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat2.03: error

Hi all,

I just tested Tophat2.03 released on May 26th using a small data set (paired-end data, 5000 reads, read len = 50). Unfortunately, I got the error message below. I am not sure if I made something wrong or it is a bug...

[ao@xxxx tmp]$ tophat2 -r 150 -p 20 -g 1 -o ./ ../../bowtie2_index_hg19/hg19 tmp1.fq tmp2.fq

[2012-05-28 23:28:16] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.3)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [2012-05-28 23:28:53] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 2.0.0.6
    [2012-05-28 23:28:54] Checking for Samtools
    Samtools version: 0.1.18.0
    [2012-05-28 23:28:54] Checking for Bowtie index files
    [2012-05-28 23:28:54] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [2012-05-28 23:28:54] Generating SAM header for ../../bowtie2_index_hg19/hg19
    format: fastq
    quality scale: phred33 (default)
    [2012-05-28 23:30:36] Preparing reads
    left reads: min. length=50, max. length=50, 2498 kept reads (2 discarded)
    right reads: min. length=50, max. length=50, 2494 kept reads (6 discarded)
    [2012-05-28 23:35:13] Mapping left_kept_reads to genome hg19 with Bowtie2
    [FAILED]
    Error running:
    /../tools/tophat-2.0.3/bam2fastx --all --fastq .//tmp/left_kept_reads.bam|/RIS/home/hzhao1/tools/bowtie2-2.0.0-beta6/bowtie2-align -q -k 1 -D 15 -R 2 -N 0 -L 20 -i S,1,1.25 --gbar 4 --mp 6,2 --np 1 --rdg 5,3 --rfg 5,3 --score-min L,-0.6,-0.6 -p 20 --sam-no-hd -x ../../bowtie2_index_hg19/hg19 -|/../tools/tophat-2.0.3/fix_map_ordering --bowtie2-min-score 10 --sam-header .//tmp/hg19_genome.bwt.samheader.sam - .//tmp/left_kept_reads.mapped.bam .//tmp/left_kept_reads_unmapped.bam --index-outfile .//tmp/left_kept_reads.mapped.bam.index

I have seen this error as well. However, I may have something to add that a potential solver will find relevant.

When I see the error above in the stdout log, I see the following in the "tophat.log" under the log directory.

[2013-07-30 00:03:55] Mapping left_kept_reads_unmapped to genome segment_juncs with Bowtie2 (1/1)
    open: No such file or directory
    Error: bam2fastx failed to open BAM file ./tophat_out/tmp/left_kept_reads_unmapped.bam
    [FAILED]

Further, I see this in the bowtie.left_kept_reads_unmapped.log

0 reads
    0.00% overall alignment rate

This seems to be telling me that there is nothing to be captured in the "left_kept_reads_unmapped" file. However, I would expect Tophat to be able to anticipate something like that--maybe make a dummy file. Or, I would expect it somehow to be impossible.

I use version 2.0.8, BTW.

Comment

Hi
      I have have problem with Tophat2.. I have successfully analysed using tophat and cufflinks with insert size 250.
      do you know how to give commands for read length 101 x 2 (insert size 150) ?

Originally posted by TrueSEQr View Post
      I have seen this error as well. However, I may have something to add that a potential solver will find relevant.

When I see the error above in the stdout log, I see the following in the "tophat.log" under the log directory.

[2013-07-30 00:03:55] Mapping left_kept_reads_unmapped to genome segment_juncs with Bowtie2 (1/1)
      open: No such file or directory
      Error: bam2fastx failed to open BAM file ./tophat_out/tmp/left_kept_reads_unmapped.bam
      [FAILED]

Further, I see this in the bowtie.left_kept_reads_unmapped.log

0 reads
      0.00% overall alignment rate

This seems to be telling me that there is nothing to be captured in the "left_kept_reads_unmapped" file. However, I would expect Tophat to be able to anticipate something like that--maybe make a dummy file. Or, I would expect it somehow to be impossible.

I use version 2.0.8, BTW.

Comment

Here's the closest thing to a solution to the "unmapped" problem I've found so far: use Bowtie1. There is a --bowtie1 option on tophat v2. Use that, and make sure that bowtie is in your path. Oddly, when I first tried this, I found that tophat complained (and failed to run because of) that the bowtie version was not correct. It stated it had to be at least 0.12 something. I had to compensate by borrowing and copying the tophat script which is writtin in python, and commenting out that check. It seemed to run clear to the end for the first time.

So that's two separate problems: 1--why is it failing to find this file if I run bowtie2 underneath. 2--why doesn't it like bowtie 1.0.0?

Comment

BTW, jp, Sorry to say I am no expert at tophat. I am just trying to learn it now. Still, I would encourage you to start your own thread on this topic, because that question is quite different from the one I started here. It might get more attention that way, too.

Comment

Bowtie1 is not universally solving this. I may have a bad install, here. I have downloaded data that was used for testing in writing the original TopHat paper, but that failed. Plus the strange workarounds I have had to do lead me to believe something in the software stack is not right. The "tophat test data" I downloaded, seemed to work just fine.

So, bottom line: this was not strictly a bowtie2 / tophat 2 issue. Could also be the index I used, which I had built myself (I did make sure to build one such index per bowtie version, and point the tophat at the relevant version). But, then again, I have not yet found the "explicit instructions" for building such indices, and could have left a parameter out.

Comment

I finally resorted to going through the tophat2.py code. I am not a Python programmer, but was able to get a hint. When I used the command-line option "--keep-tmp", this problem with the disappearing left_kept_reads_unmapped.bam did not occur.

Instead, I see this:

"Error while running bowtie:
              Error while flushing and closing output"

and that last line is repeated seven times (BTW, I ran tophat with eight threads).

So this raises the question: why does the left_kept_reads_unmapped.bam file get deleted if you are not clearing away temporary files, even though there are still downstream dependencies on that file? When I ran this against the test data, I did not have to use --keep-tmp to get it to run.

Still a deeper problem.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses