No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimating the number of ddRAD fragments

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is an easy way to estimate the number of fragments resulting from a double digest reaction (in my case ddRAD). For a single digest, one can do the following:

((proportion of cut sites)^(enzyme cut frequency)) x (genome size) = number of RAD fragments

For instance, with ecoRI (6 cutter) and a proportion of 0.25 across a genome of 2.5Gbs:

(0.25)^6 x 2,500,000,000 = 610,351.6 RAD fragments

Is there a similar way for calculate this for a double digest reaction? One could use simRAD in R or even use grep or cat commands on the reference fasta file (cat ref.fasta | tr -d "\n" | grep -o -E “enz1sequence.{200,400}enzyme2sequence” | wc -l).

However, I would like to know if there is an easier solution to this such as the one described above for single digest.

Thanks!

Calculation method that you have described is incorrect because it assumes that nucleotide sequences in genomes are random and ignores the repetitive content. Two correct methods:

1- Bioinformatically if there is a reference as you have mentioned
    2- Empirical (most accurate)

Comment

Thanks nucacidhunter,

You are right about the calculation method. It is not the best because of the point you made but should still give a rough estimate. The empirical method is definitely the most accurate way but I would prefer to have a precise in silico estimate prior to jumping into lab work.

Would you have a good bioinformatic method to propose?

Thanks!

Comment

I know that there are some open source software that gives the number and size of the in silico digest fragments. Hopefully someone in the forum can give the names. I found the following thesis interesting in this regard:
        http://www.masterbioinformatica.com/...Z_FERNANDO.pdf

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses