No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra-low DNA yield library prep.

Dears all,

We're about to sequence a genome from a small insect. We can get ~500-1000 ng from 5 pooled individuals. But giving wild population should have high, maybe too high variability, we would like to build libraries from single individuals, maybe half of it, to avoid the gut, full of other stuff.

I was reading the Nextera XT DNA library preparation kit. They claim it is able to work with only 1ng of DNA.

Does anybody have some experience with it? Any other advice?

Thanks you a lot
    F

We routinely make libraries from 1-2ng for whole-genome sequencing/mutation identification in C. elegans (100Mbp genome) and obtain coverage comparable to bulk (1 ug) libraries. We've used a variety of library kits: Illumina ChIP, NEBNext Ultra DNA, Nugen Ovation SP+ Ultralow, and Diagenode MicroPlex.

Comment

Thanks!!!

What about ThruPLEX DNA-seq Kit?

F

Comment

It sounds like you can get 100-200 ng of DNA per individual, and if that is the case I think you should consider PCR-free options. This will help with more even coverage of your genome and avoiding PCR artifacts and duplicates. The polymerases are pretty good these days, but nothing beats PCR-free. Also, PCR-free looks good to journal reviewers, if that is your eventual goal.

Also, unless there is a reason you need to go with Illumina, you may want to consider kits from other companies. You can often save money and get results that are as good as, if not better than, the comparable Illumina kit.

Comment

Thank you K.

So which kit do you would suggest? Or which company...

F

Comment

Nextera XT uses 1 ng input and it is robust for its recommended applications. The limitations are genome size (larger genomes will not get even coverage) and also GC content of genome. AT rich and GC rich genomes may fail or perform poorly.

I have not used ThruPLEX, but another product from this company performed well. They have good data comparing this product to competing ones and their protocol seems robust. If cost was not considered I would try this kit over Nextera. This protocol potentially can convert more of input DNA into sequencaeble library than Nextera.

Comment

Do you know the genome size and GC content of your insect genome?

I've yet to get optimal clustering out of multiplexed samples run through the Nextera XT bead based normalization, anywhere from 300-800k/mm2. I do routinely use the XT kit for single isolate libraries (120Mb genomes) that are run out on a fragment analyzer. If you go the Nextera XT route I would recommend doing a titration of input amount, e.g. 1, .8, .6ng.

Comment

I personally don't like Nextera since it shows insertion bias. Every Nextera library I've ever seen shows unusual GC content about 10 bp into the sequence read.

Comment

Hi guys,

the genomes I'm working with ranges from 300 to 500Mb.

It looks clear Nextera XT is not very suitable. So far ThruPLEX looks better. Do you guys agree?

thanks
                  F

Comment

I like the NEBNext Ultra kit or the NuGen Ultralow

This kit enables DNA Library Prep for Illumina systems, using the original Ultra workflow; Ultra II workflows are now available with improved results.

Comment

Are you planning on running these on a MiSeq?

Comment

Originally posted by francicco View Post
                        Hi guys,

the genomes I'm working with ranges from 300 to 500Mb.

It looks clear Nextera XT is not very suitable. So far ThruPLEX looks better. Do you guys agree?

thanks
                        F
                        According to supplier web data, this kit outperforms competing products and that looks logical for following reasons:

1- One tube format with no purification between library prep steps is expected to eliminate sample loss resulting in increased library diversity and reduced duplicates. Nextera is also one tube format, but at least ½ of input fragments will not be amplified or sequenced due to receiving the same adapter at both ends.

2- Adapter design and its addition to fragments eliminates adapter-dimer formation unlike NEB Ultra

3- Expected efficient adapter ligation because adapter to template ratio can be increased without formation of dimers

For low input applications such as this study where size of insect limits availability of DNA, it seems to be the right product. As you have noted assembly will be easier if DNA comes from one insect rather than multiple sample pool.

Comment

GC bias was more prominent in transposase-based protocols, particularly Nextera XT, likely through a combination of transposase insertion bias being coupled with a high number of PCR enrichment cycles.
                          Hum Immunol. 2015 Mar;76(2-3):166-75. doi: 10.1016/j.humimm.2014.

The NEBNext method uses Q5 polymerase which shows less GC bias

Comment

Actually I would like not to use PCRs...

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
                              GC bias was more prominent in transposase-based protocols, particularly Nextera XT, likely through a combination of transposase insertion bias being coupled with a high number of PCR enrichment cycles.
                              Hum Immunol. 2015 Mar;76(2-3):166-75. doi: 10.1016/j.humimm.2014.

The NEBNext method uses Q5 polymerase which shows less GC bias

https://www.neb.com/products/m0541-n...pcr-master-mix
                              You mean use the Q5 polymerase after the tagmentation step of the Nextera XT procedure for amplification will reduce the GC bias causing by the tagmentation-based method?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses