Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Web Services: Tophat cannot find Bowtie2 even though Bowtie2 is in path

Hi there,

This is quite vexing, Bowtie2 is in my path but Tophat complains that it is not on the system.

I am using Amazon Linux, 64-bit and I installed binaries of Tophat, Bowtie and cufflinks. Samtools was compiled from source code.

.bash_profile has the following:
    TUX_PATH=/home/ec2-user/software
    PATH=$PATH:$TUX_PATH/bowtie:$TUX_PATH/cufflinks:$TUX_PATH/tophat:$TUX_PATH/samtools
    export PATH

Typing "bowtie2 --version" from any subdirectory yields:
    /home/ec2-user/software/bowtie/bowtie2-align-s version 2.2.1
    64-bit
    Built on igm2

Likewise, Tophat, Cufflinks and Samtools are all found from any subdirectory.

However, running TopHat using a script that works fine on my own Linux box at home yields:
    Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie 2 not found, checking for older version..
    Error: Bowtie not found on this system.

I'm at my wits end here.

Thanks,
    Dr Funkenstein

Do bowtie2 script and executables have execute permissions for all?

Comment

you should run env (or similar) insider your script to make sure that the PATH and other environment variables poins to the places you think they should be pointing. The next thing will be checking that the permission are right (executable for the right user/group etc).

Comment

The latest version of Bowtie2 does not work with the 2nd-to-last-version of Tophat (the latest was released 03-04-2013 ... after your post). See the tophat home page:

I suspect that this is your problem. Solution: use an older version of Bowtie2 or upgrade to the 03-04 version of Tophat (I have not tried out the latter solution).

Comment

Westerman,

You are absolutely correct !! When I installed Bowtie 1 - all is happy. I will play around with Tophat and Bowtie until I get a reasonably up-to-date pair.

Thanks again !!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses