No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping and variant calling for hypermutated cancers

Dear all,

I am interested in the analysis of WES data for hypermutated cancers, like colorectal, lung, melanoma cancers... I mean cancers with >200 somatic mutations per Mb.

Until now, I have analysed paired data with low (<10/Mb) somatic mutations. Thus, I wonder if mapping and variant calling steps require more attention in this context.

The high mutation rate can make the mapping more complicated. For mapping WES data, I have used BWA-backtrack and BWA-MEM with default settings in the past. With very high mutation rate, should we keep only reads with very stringent mapping score (for unique alignment only)? Should we modify the default parameters?

For variant (SNV+short INDEL) calling, I am used to VarScan2. I would like to test an additional tool. MuTect (which detects SNV only) is one of the most frequently used variant callers for WES. Since it does assumption on mutation frequency:
    From MuTect publication:
    We used a fixed threshold of 6.3 for all results presented here unless indicated otherwise. This threshold corresponds to a 10^6.3:1 odds ratio in favor of the reference model, which is reasonable because the frequency of mutations in many tumors is only 1–10 per Mb and thus the a priori odds of a site harboring a mutation may be as low as 1:10^5 or 1:10^6.
    this is probably not an appropriate tool to use in this context, unless it is possible to change the range of expected somatic mutations.
    What do you think about Strelka on WES data? It has the advantage to detect short INDEL too.

Looking forward to hear from your experience,
    Thank you,
    Jane

Hi there, for the mapping part, you could try Stampy (http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/project-stampy) or BBMap (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bbmap/) which can accommodate greater sequence divergence.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have seen several publications on melanoma or colorectal cancers, where BWA was used. No detail was given in the methods concerning the parameters, so it was probably the default settings. I guess that tests were performed to compare alignment rates. It would be interesting to access these conclusions.
      And the same for variant calling.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses