Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting insert size from .bam using pysam

Hi there, this is my first time posting. I am fairly new to bioinformatics so I may make silly errors here and there.

Anyway, I have been trying to extract the mate-pair distances from an indexed bam file of paired end reads. I have been using pysam to iterate through a a bam using the pysam.Samfile().fetch() methods. By manually inspecting my output I know that I have the reads that I am interested in. The problem is that pretty much all the reads extracted using pysam have in incorrect (or possibly missing!) value in the insert size (isize) field which I have confirmed by extracting a few corresponding reads from the sam file. All fields match up but for the overwhelming majority of reads the insert size field have an exact value of 101, which made me think that there could be another value taking the place of isize in the pysam.AlignedRead object.

Does anyone with experience using pysam know what might be going on?

Here is the code I've been using, if it helps:

sam_file = pysam.Samfile(FILE_NAME, "rb")
    output_file = open("mate_pair_distances.tsv","w")
    iter= sam_file.fetch("REGION_OF_INTEREST",1,500)
    for x in iter:
    line = (str(x))
    cols = line.rstrip("\n").split("\t")
    print(cols)
    if cols[2] == "REGION_OF_INTEREST":
    mate_dist=int(cols[8])
    position = int(cols[3])

Why are you converting the convenient to use AlignedRead class to a string? Just:
    Code:
    sam_file = pysam.Samfile(FILE_NAME, "rb")
    output_file = open("mate_pair_distances.tsv","w")
    for alignment in  sam_file.fetch("REGION_OF_INTEREST",1,500) :
        isize=alignment.tlen

Comment

Note that you might want to toss an abs() in there, size the insert size will be negative for one of the mates.

Comment

Thanks! That's cleared it right up.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses