Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Mate Pair library construction backgrounder

It is always a gut-check vetting new protocols. Especially ones that take upwards of a week to complete. For me the process is exponentially worse when the protocols offer no rationale for their methods. AB is far from the most villianous in this regard, but it might be worth your time to consider a two issues before diving in to the LMP protocol.

(1) Input DNA quantity and "quality".
    I did a stint in an anaerobic protein purification lab early in my career. I was reliably informed by a post doc in this lab that even after a several thousand-fold purification of a protein of interest, to a single band on a stained gel, that every single protein present in the original cells was still in the purified prep. I'm sure this was a little hyperbolic, but the point still stands: purification protocols deplete a sample of the stuff you do not want--they do not completely remove it. Fortunately most of the hitch-hiking biomolecules in a sample DNA prep can be safely ignored. The ones that might trip you up:

RNA. Typically >90% of the nucleotides in a genomic "DNA" prep derive from RNA. (I saw 99.7% less than 1 month ago.) It is usually degraded down to oligos with RNAse so that you may not see it at all on a gel, but it confounds any attempt to measure DNA concentration using UV spectrophotometry. Be particularly suspicious if the sample reads > 1ug/ul concentration (genomic DNA is difficult to dissolve at that high of a concentration) or your 260/280 ratio goes above 1.8.

phenol. Less commonly used these days, but you will still see it. Just a tiny amount will throw your UV spec reading way off! 1 ml of water with 1 ul of phenol dissolved (0.1% v/v) into it will read like 540 ng/ul DNA. But if you look at the full spectrum it is obvious because the peak is at 270 nm.

nucleases. These are a little more problematic. Any self-respecting cell will be replete with all manner of nucleases. DNA preps generally should deplete them down to a tolerable level. But here is the rub: what constitutes "tolerable"? Add a little EDTA (as in TE) around to chelate divalent cations and most DNA nucleases will not function. However, bump the concentration of Mg++ high enough or remove the EDTA and they will be back in action. Since I am going to fragment my DNA using a hydroshear anyway, I don't mind the genomic DNA being a little smeary. But you really want to make sure all the nucleases are gone before you start ligating adaptors on.

(2) Your nick translation rate may vary!

The standard LMP protocol for SOLiD utilizes a fixed time for nick translation to control the size of LMP amplicons. Too short and your sequence reads will hit adaptor on their distal ends, too long and ePCR will fail to produce bright template beads. We use a 10 minute extension, instead of the 9 minute one in the protocol but even that fails to produce sufficiently long amplicons in some cases. What sorts of factors play into this variability? The obvious one it temperature. Even a little bit above 4 oC and the DNA polymerase will synthesize faster. Alternatively damaged DNA (eg, pyrimidine-pyrimidine dimers) might slow or stop the polymerase. We have recently seen results however that suggest that some other factor, more intrinsic to the genomic DNA itself may be playing a role.

Here are 7 LMP libraries we have attempted to construct over the past 9 months or so. I have given each library a number, "1-7". The following is a table with columns A-D. (Sorry, I did not see a better way to make a table.)

Code:

A          B       C       D     
    1    3.5	516	350	120     
    2    5.1	500	327	109     
    3    4.6	500	326	108     
    4    2.5	446	300	 95    
    5    4.7	240	250	 70     
    6    3.0	177	212	 51     
    7    4.6	530	209	 50
    A Mean pre-circularization fragment size after hydroshear and gel cut (kb).
    B Amount of post circle DNA used in nick translation (ng).
    C Mean amplicon size after preparative PCR (bp).
    D Mean "tag" size after subtracting out adaptors and dividing by 2 (bp).

All the libraries are from various rice species except for 2 and 3 which are chicken.

Libraries 6 and 7 are too amplicon small and are both from the same species and accession of rice. Note that the input DNA sizes and amounts varied as did the DNA prep, source of plant material and person that did the DNA prep. In addition the libraries were made roughly 6 months apart. Nevertheless the calculated tag lengths are nearly identical (50 bp) and are less than 1/2 the lengths of those made from chicken DNA.

Only a couple of data points here, but they suggest that there is something intrinsic to the genomic DNA that drastically alters the nick translation speed of the DNA polymerase being used.

We are making a new library this week...

Phillip

Great post.

NT efficacy could be methylation related. Any tissue differences for those rice libraries?

Comment

Nice Post

Glad to see the mention of the phenol induced 270nm shift... I spent way to much time in a former life figuring out why a 230ng/ul DNA sample had no DNA on a gel. As such we now have a field in our database that tracks the nanodrop spectrum. One thing worth watching is if the spectrum plot is smooth or not. Sometimes good quality values by 260/280 and 260/230 (needs to be above 2.1 for good success in our hands) still yield poor results but you can see the spectrum plot is not perfectly smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
        Great post.

NT efficacy could be methylation related. Any tissue differences for those rice libraries?
        I don't think there should be tissue differences. But we did not grow any of these plants. So, who knows.

BTW, just as an update, our most recent attempt did not come in at exactly the same tag lengths. However it is not exactly and "apples to apples" comparison. This time we actually collected 4 time points from the NT at 10-15-20 and 25 minutes. But something was not quite right, because instead of 4 peaks, we got 3 with maxima at 263, 342 and 420 bp.

Anyway, I think we will stick with taking multiple time points, rather than blowing a day or two post-NT to find out our amplicons are too short.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Keats View Post
          Nice Post

Glad to see the mention of the phenol induced 270nm shift... I spent way to much time in a former life figuring out why a 230ng/ul DNA sample had no DNA on a gel. As such we now have a field in our database that tracks the nanodrop spectrum. One thing worth watching is if the spectrum plot is smooth or not. Sometimes good quality values by 260/280 and 260/230 (needs to be above 2.1 for good success in our hands) still yield poor results but you can see the spectrum plot is not perfectly smooth.
          Oh, believe me, I feel your pain. We have pretty much gone to fluorimetry to assay incoming DNA samples.

I think a likely culprit for creating non-smooth spectra would be particulates. Could try spinning the sample down for 5 minutes in a microfuge prior to pulling a ul off the top (away from the notional "pellet") to read via spectrophotometry.

I should add that if you have particulates, they will clog a hydroshear shearing assembly. So it is worth getting rid of them.

The 260/280 thing is a whole other can of worms. For additional revelations check out "Effect of pH and Ionic Strength on The Spectrophotometric Asssessment of Nucleic Acid Purity" at:

http://www.biotechniques.com/Biotech...al/1997/March/

and "Nucleic Acid Purity Ratios" on the nanodrop site:

http://www.nanodrop.com/Support.aspx...anoDrop%201000

They don't actually spec pure phenol, though. They do Trizol instead. And that includes guanidine HCl, right? phenol does absorb at 230 nm, but nowhere near to the extent it does at 270 nm. As a result 0.1% pure phenol in water actually has a reasonably good looking 260/230 and 260/280 ratios.

--
          Phillip

Comment

...and another can of worms is the "DNA" mode on the nanodrop, which normalizes every spectrum to raw 340nm...(assuming that it should be near zero)...so when you have a contaminant you can get confusing spectra if this normalization isn't backed out.

See this document...couldn't find it on the thermo's site: http://www.biolabanalytical.com.au/a...malization.pdf

Comment

From what i remember, the enzyme can cut the nick just as often as it translates it.

....just to add another layer of complexity

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses