Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasmid contamination in Long Tag Paired End library

Our core facility just did a long tag paired end library prep and sequencing run using the standard GS FLX kit and protocol. The sequence output looked fantastic but when I went to assemble it (gsAssembler v 2.0) a large fraction of the reads were rejected by the assembler. After a lot of head scratching and further analysis I discovered that 90% of the reads were plasmid DNA; that plasmid being some pBR derivative. Being on the bioinformtics side I didn't know the full details of the library prep but discovered the source of the problem after discussing it with the lab folks. For those who haven't done this protocol, at one step you are supposed to add 3 ug of pUC19 as a "carrier". You are supposed to separate your DNA of interest a few steps later via a biotin moiety on the paired end adaptor. Obviously our cleanup was not very efficient.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this plasmid carry over with the long tag protocol? If so what have you done to address the problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

I am working with a 3K-LT run and I did not figure this problem before. Thanks for noticing that.
    However, in my run, only 3% of the reads match a plasmid sequence.

Comment

Kevin,
      We have got the same problem but a lesser extent, 50%, what is still very high. From Roche we have been told it was a bead washing problem, altough we followed strictly the protocol guidelines. In the eScholarship Repository, University of California we have found the following information, see the link http://repositories.cdlib.org/lbnl/LBNL-773E/ , where using Tween-20 to block the beads before DNA incubation disminish the inespecific pUC binding.
      I hope it helps,we are going to try it the next time. Have you got rid off the pUC contamination?
      Cheers

Comment

Thanks jpp. I had been directed to that poster by someone else as well and I passed the information along to our lab personnel (I'm bioinformatics and don't get my hands dirty at the bench ;-) ). We did some additional runs and I think they did implement some additional washing but I'm not sure if they used the method outlined in that poster. We ran three long tag paired end runs recently and still found some contamination but not nearly as bad. One sample was only a few percent but another was > 30%. I think the most significant factor effecting this was the amount of material we had to start with. We may tell customers if they want to do long tagged paired ends they will have to give us 15µg to start with.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses