No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 PE-linker question

Hello,

I have been working on how to incorporate a linker when simulating paired reads from an assembly of 454 reads and have a few questions about how the linker sequence is used. From my experience, Newbler will treat simulated pairs as single end even if you try to say they are from a paired-end run. If anyone could suggest a reference, other than the 454 website, as to how the linker is used or if there are other things that are used to distinguish pairs that would be appreciated.

If there is a tool similar to wgsim for 454 data then that would really help. I am not restricted to using Newbler by any means but I am not really wanting to generate reads with wgsim, for example, and have to assemble (or map) them as Illumina reads.

Thanks.

I guess you are referring to the internal adaptor. Here is my understanding of the protocol: Once you have the genomic DNA (fragments) of the desired size, you circularize and the internal adaptor is added to
    close the circle. Cutting the circle is not perfect, so you may end up having the adaptor
    very close to the ends of the fragment. So the fragments you sequence will look like
    this:

ADAPTOR 5-----------------INTERNAL ADAPTOR ------------------3 ADAPTOR
    ADAPTOR 3-----------------INTERNAL ADAPTOR ------------------5 ADAPTOR

For you modeling, randomize the location of the adaptor.

Also, look around for the big projects 1000 genomes, TCGA (cancer) and look for real 454 data.
    -drd

Comment

Thanks for the reply and advice for looking at public data. Ironically, 1000 genomes website is down, but I guess that is beside the point.

Yes, I was referring to the internal sequence and how/if it is used or recognized during assembly (with Roche's software). I was trying to do assemblies with simulated paired ends but they were not being treated as such. So, I was wondering if the linker is just a part of the protocol and removed prior to assembly or if it is used in some way to orient the pairs. By working with some public data I might be able to get at this so that will be my next step.

Comment

When I was looking to this data (long time ago) we had to extract the adapter ourselves.
        Perhaps that has changed now and it is done by the roche/454 software.

Do you refer to Newbler? Is it possible you are not using the correct linker/adapter
        sequence in your simulated data? Does Newbler have any report about linker processing?
        -drd

Comment

So I confirmed that newbler finds and removes the 44bp of the linker prior to the assembly step. Also, the efficiency seems very high and the amount of successful pairs
          seems very high. So perhaps you are using the wrong linker in your simulated reads?
          -drd

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
            So I confirmed that newbler finds and removes the 44bp of the linker prior to the assembly step. Also, the efficiency seems very high and the amount of successful pairs
            seems very high. So perhaps you are using the wrong linker in your simulated reads?
            This is the information I was looking for. I have not been using the linker at all when doing the assemblies with the simulated reads because I thought maybe people removed it prior to doing the assembly. Now I will incorporate this into the reads and see if Newbler recognizes it.

Comment

You can force newbler to interpret your paired end reads with the -p flag. However, I think you need to give newbler the pairs as separate fasta entries, with descriptions in the fasta headers as such:

>readname_F template=readname dir=F library=libname
              >readname_R template=readname dir=R library=libname

What I mean is that I know this works, while I have no clue if newbler will check for the 454 linker in fastafiles added with the -p flag...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses