No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: bcftools: Wrong number of PL fields? nals=4 npl=6

Hello all,

I am new to bcftools and samtools, so forgive my question if it is ignorant. My goal is to extract consensus sequences between two different species.

I was given paired-end Illumina sequencing data. So far, I used FastQC to trim and bowtie 2 to perform the mapping and used samtools to generate sorted bam files. We created two bam files by using single-ended bowtie 2 mapping - this was due to a large amounts of insertion-deletion polymorphisms between the two species.

I tried the following to variant call:

/home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/samtools-1.3.1/samtools mpileup -d8000 -uf Mlongifolia_CMEN585_assembly_v1.0.fasta CMEN585.R_1.sorted.bam CMEN585.R_2.sorted.bam | bcftools call -c | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cnsnew.fq

error: Wrong number of PL fields? nals=4 npl=6

Then I tried using just a single bam file:

/home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/samtools-1.3.1/samtools mpileup -d8000 -uf Mlongifolia_CMEN585_assembly_v1.0.fasta CMEN585.R_1.sorted.bam | bcftools call -c | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cnsnew.fq

error: Wrong number of PL fields? nals=4 npl=3

What do these errors mean and how do I fix them? I have searched around, but have been unable to turn up anything so far.

I assume you need to variant call before you extract consensus sequences. I tried to extract the consensus sequences anyway (just for kicks):

/home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/samtools-1.3.1/samtools \ mpileup \ -B \ -u \ -f Mlongifolia_CMEN585_assembly_v1.0.fasta\ CMEN585.R_1.sorted.bam | \ bcftools call -cg | \ vcfutils.pl vcf2fq \ ->R_1_consensus.fq

error: Use of uninitialized value $l in numeric lt (<) at /usr/local/bin/vcfutils.pl line 566. Use of uninitialized value $l in numeric lt (<) at /usr/local/bin/vcfutils.pl line 566.

Thank you for your help,

Richard

The bcftools error is usually due to mixing different versions of samtools and bcftools. If you use samtools 1.3.1, then you need bcftools 1.3.1.

I haven't a clue about the vcfutils error.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I tried to adjust the command so that it couldn't default to a different bcf tools version:

/home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/samtools-1.3.1/samtools mpileup -d8000 -uf Mlongifolia_CMEN585_assembly_v1.0.fasta CMEN585.R_1.sorted.bam CMEN585.R_2.sorted.bam | /home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/bcftools-1.3.1/bcftools call -c | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cnsnew.fq

Unfortunately, I got the same errors.

Note: Neither --ploidy nor --ploidy-file given, assuming all sites are diploid
      [mpileup] 2 samples in 2 input files
      Wrong number of PL fields? nals=4 npl=6

Richard

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but I'm breaking down the steps currently to see what is failing.

1. /home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/samtools-1.3.1/samtools mpileup -d8000 -uf Mlongifolia_CMEN585_assembly_v1.0.fasta CMEN585.R_1.sorted.bam CMEN585.R_2.sorted.bam >file.mpileup

2, /home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/bcftools-1.3.1/bcftools call -c file.mpileup > file.vcf

3, /home/sean/Desktop/assembly_software/bcftools-1.3.1/vcfutils.pl vcf2fq file.vcf > cnsnew.fq

Currently, while running the first step I'm getting the message [mplp_func] Skipping because some_number is outside of 0 [ref:some_different_number. This might just be because the alignment is poor. I'm not sure.

Thank you

Comment

One last update:

When I run mpileup, the command finishes. However, it only outputs this:

##contig=<ID=Contig12315,length=1495,IDX=12315>

And then after a while starts to output this:

1��!NA7<*>
          5�? ��?B �DA�B�A@D

Sorry for the spammed posts, but I figure the more information the better.

Richard

Comment

One last update:

When I run mpileup, the command finishes. However, it only outputs this:

##contig=<ID=Contig12315,length=1495,IDX=12315>

And then after a while starts to output this:

1��!NA7<*>
            5�? ��?B �DA�B�A@D

Sorry for the spammed posts, but I figure the more information the better.

Richard

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses