Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools version 1.3.1 merge function, merging two bam, doesnt contain all the info.

Hey all,
    I have read many suggestions about merging two or multiple BAM files using samtools merge function. I have also read in the documentation how it works. However, none of the solutions or suggestions seem to work in my case.
    From the beginning, I had reads which I align using SMALT and NextGenMap (individually), obtain the alignment in SAM, convert to BAM, sort and do other calculation. I was using these BAMs to generate consensus sequence using mpileup to be used in my annotation pipeline.
    Now, I want to merge BAMs from two alignment methods namely SMALT and NextGenMap, and use this merged BAM to generate consensus sequence to be used in my annotation pipeline. I want to do so because I believe that there will be many reads aligning to reference at the same configuration in common and that it will also make my further predictions more accurate. While I use samtools merge, on my sorted bam files, it generates a BAM file which does seem to satisfy the statistics but after generating consensus sequence from this bam, there are about only 8-10% of the contigs in this new consensus sequence file as compared to consensus sequence files generated by BAMs of SMALT and NextGenMap. This seems to miss out on many predicted results I obtain individually.
    Anyone has any idea what I can do in such situation or may be in dept of how samtools merge actually puts everything together. Many thanks!!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
  • seqadmin
    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
0 responses