No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAIIx scanning technology

Hi,
    I remember reading about GAIIx being able to utilize dual surface scanning technology. Is dual surface scanning only available on HiSeq 2000? I gave a talk today about this and a colleague of mine brought "dual surface scanning is not available in GAx platform" to my attention but I am pretty sure I did not just make this up although I can not find a direct reference on the internet so I am not sure what the case is since I do not work with this machine hands on. Does anyone have an answer?

The GAIIx doesn't scan. Instead it images with a camera and only focuses on a single surface, even though (as somebody from Illumina said at Marco Island) there are clusters on both sides of the flowcell.

I suppose theoretically you could images both sides, but then you'd need to have two different focus levels and you'd end up taking 8 pictures instead of 4. Then again you might not be able to change the focus that finely with the current optics. It's a moot point anyway.

PS one of the main issues with bringing out the Hiseq was the ability to dual-layer scan. This meant completely changing the optical detection side of hte sequencing. The Hiseq is more like an iScan, now, I think.
    Last edited by GW_OK; 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the explanation I must have got that mixed up from somewhere.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses