No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTF to BED converter?

Hello

cufflinks produces a gtf file of transcripts and I think it would be handy to be able to display this on the UCSC genome browser using the bigDataUrl method. Galaxy has a tool to go gtf -> gff3 and another gff3 -> bed from which one get get an indexed bigBed. Does anyone know of an existing tool that will take gtf -> bed?

Thanks

Mike

Originally posted by mmuratet View Post
    Does anyone know of an existing tool that will take gtf -> bed?
    Never used/tested it myself but the google search "gtf2bed" came up with: http://noble.gs.washington.edu/~shob...hs/bin/gtf2bed

If you know how to use a perl script you might want to try this.

Comment

Thanks. It's always the simple searches. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Displaying a custom track of transcripts from cufflinks

Dear Bioinformaticians,
        Please can you tell me how to display a full genomes/transcriptomes worth of transcripts in the hg19 UCSC genome browser?

I make the assumption that a full transcriptome GTF file is too big to simply upload and I was thinking of writing a GTF to Bed script (then to bigbed) so I can display it.

The script linked here looks fine but it is a bit too simplistic and does not connect up exons. I can write my own but happy to use some other solution if it already exists.

Thank you in advance of any advice,

Kind regards,

John.

Comment

Loading GTF files to the UCSC browser

You could use awk or perl or an equivalent to break the GTF file into pieces by chromosome. I've never tried it myself but it seems possible.

Comment

Originally posted by poisson200 View Post
            I make the assumption that a full transcriptome GTF file is too big to simply upload and I was thinking of writing a GTF to Bed script (then to bigbed) so I can display it.
            I have no idea how big the file is, but you can load files up to 500 MB and 100 million lines (sometimes more than 100 million) so maybe you don't have to break it up. Compress the file as a .gz for faster uploading (although in my experience the uncompressed file has to be smaller than 500 MB).

Also, you don't upload bigbed files to UCSC, you have to have them on your own server and provide a URL to UCSC to access them.
            bigbed: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/bigBed.html

Comment

Thank you for your answers

Originally posted by biznatch View Post
              Also, you don't upload bigbed files to UCSC, you have to have them on your own server and provide a URL to UCSC to access them.
              bigbed: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/bigBed.html
              Sorry, I knew this; I already use bb's but was lazy in precisely conveying it.

OK, I will try out your suggestions. Thanks.

Kind regards,

John.

Update;
              Great, all is good with 10Mb gzip-ed into browser. thanks.
              Last edited by poisson200; 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM. Reason: Update; good news

Comment

Not cufflinks specific, and properly joins exons into one line, and annotates the "thick" and "thin" regions correctly (using start/stop codons if available)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses