Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hisat2 multiple thread usage

Hello all, I am trying to switch over to using hisat2 instead of tophat. I have a couple questions:

1. It seems that we are able to input a list of mates for -1 & -2. Would this be referring to inputing multiple paired reads of the same sample in to be aligned at once? For example I have 8 .fastq files (4 paired reads) - how would the input look like?

2. How do I create a specific output file and directory? Would this be using the -S flag and inputing a file name after that? I see that the default output is .sam, is there a way to output .bam files?

3. I tried to use the multithread option, -p/--threads 4, (as I have 4 cores) but got this error: -p/--threads arg must be at least 1. Any help with this?

1. hisat2 -x something -1 sample_1_1.fq,sample_1_2.fq -2 sample_2_1.fq,sample_2_2.fq
    2. Redirect output to a file in a directory that's already created. Hisat2 won't create directories for you.
    3. Use "-p 4" or "--nthreads 4". The "/" in the documentation indicates that things on either side are the same.

Comment

Thank you very much. Just to be clear:
      1. This means that multiple lanes in each sample can all be run at once?
      2. To redirect output to a file in a directory I would use: -S Results.sam? Any way to output a .bam, or would I just have to use samtools to do this?
      3.This will make things go much faster, thanks. What is your opinion at running multiple instances of hisat2 (on separate command line windows) at once to run multiple samples simultaneously?

Comment

1. Yup
        2. hisat ...options... | samtools -Sbo output.bam -
        3. We commonly run a few instances at once with 20-30 threads each (on cluster nodes with 64 cores each). At some point you'll saturate disk I/O, but it'll probably take a while.

Comment

So I have been trying to run multiple lanes within a sample on hisat2 using this command:
          Code:
          hisat2 -q  -p 4 -x Xenopus_Laevis -1 /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L005_R1_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L006_R1_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L007_R1_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L008_R1_001.fastq -2 /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L005_R2_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L006_R2_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L007_R2_001.fastq, /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L008_R2_001.fastq -S Sample_1_hisat2_results.sam
          These are paired reads as R1 for each read indicates mate 1 and R2 indicates mate 2. When I try and run this, I am getting this error:

Code:
          Note that if <mates> files are specified using -1/-2, a <singles> file cannot
          also be specified.  Please run bowtie separately for mates and singles.
          Error: Encountered internal HISAT2 exception (#1)
          This doesn't make sense as these are all mates and not single reads. Any help with this?

Comment

Pretty sure you can't have spaces between the R1/R2 read file names.

Try

Code:
            hisat2 -q  -p 4 -x Xenopus_Laevis -1 /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L005_R1_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L006_R1_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L007_R1_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L008_R1_001.fastq -2 /Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L005_R2_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L006_R2_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L007_R2_001.fastq,/Volumes/cachannel/RNA_SEQ/Notch_RNASeq/in_silico_test/Sample_1/Results_1_ATCACG_L008_R2_001.fastq -S Sample_1_hisat2_results.sam

Comment

Works perfectly, thanks a lot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses