No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to combine junctions.bed files produced by TopHat

Hi,

Basically I would like to double check before writing my own script to do so. Since I need to pool together samples with different read lengths, I have to run TopHat separately for them (using the -j option wherever appropriate). I already know how to merge the resulting .sam files with samtools and generate a combined coverage.wig file. Before putting effort to combine the junctions.bed files, I would like to know:

1. If there are tools/scripts to do this already, either within TopHat or outside.

2. If none, I would like to confirm if the score field of the junctions.bed file is simply the number of uniquely mapping reads that are aligned to the junction, or if muitlreads are also counted/weighted.

Please feel free to share your knowledge/experience/comments. Thanks a lot!

-- Leo

You could use Galaxy (http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/). Upload the files (probably as file format tabular) you want to combine and then use the 'Concatenate queries' tool found under Text Manipulation. There's probably a short script out there to combine them, but this should work for what you want to do too.

-Brandon

Comment

TopHat comes with an (undocumented, I realize) script called bed_to_juncs. Running it on a TopHat BED file will produce a .juncs-format file. To merge these, you can simply cat them together, sort, and pipe to uniq.

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
        TopHat comes with an (undocumented, I realize) script called bed_to_juncs. Running it on a TopHat BED file will produce a .juncs-format file. To merge these, you can simply cat them together, sort, and pipe to uniq.
        Hi Cole,

I am aware of the bed_to_juncs script but when converting BED files to .junc files, it doesn't preserve the score and overhang information that I would like to combine. BTW, could you confirm if my understanding of the score field in BED files is correct? Thanks a lot!

-- Leo
        Last edited by HTS; 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrD2009 View Post
          You could use Galaxy (http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/). Upload the files (probably as file format tabular) you want to combine and then use the 'Concatenate queries' tool found under Text Manipulation. There's probably a short script out there to combine them, but this should work for what you want to do too.

-Brandon
          Thanks for your reply, Brandon! I guess I didn't make myself clear but I need something considerably more sophisticated than concatenating multiple text files, especially considering what each field of the junctions.bed file means.

Comment

I'm new just thought I'd try helping. Apparently it isn't the bed file format I am familiar with.

Comment

Did you end up writing your own script that merges the junction.bed files from different sample while preserving the score? If yes, would you be willing to share that script since this is exactly what I need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by fongchun View Post
                Did you end up writing your own script that merges the junction.bed files from different sample while preserving the score? If yes, would you be willing to share that script since this is exactly what I need to do.
                https://github.com/roryk/seqscripts has a bunch of little gluey type scripts to work with splice junctions, one of them does what you want. Download it and do this from the command line:

cat junctions_file1.bed junction_file_2.bed junction_file_3.bed| tbed2juncs | combineJuncs > combined.juncs

combine.juncs will be a BED file and contains all of the junctions from the junction files with the score the sum of the junction scores. The names of the junctions are the locations of the two nucleotides at the edges of the exons that are joined together.

Comment

Originally posted by roryk View Post
                  https://github.com/roryk/seqscripts has a bunch of little gluey type scripts to work with splice junctions, one of them does what you want. Download it and do this from the command line:

cat junctions_file1.bed junction_file_2.bed junction_file_3.bed| tbed2juncs | combineJuncs > combined.juncs

combine.juncs will be a BED file and contains all of the junctions from the junction files with the score the sum of the junction scores. The names of the junctions are the locations of the two nucleotides at the edges of the exons that are joined together.
                  great work! Thank you roryk.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses