Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do phylogenetic analysis with 25000 sequences?

Hi,
    I'm trying to employ 454 in phylogenetic research. We have 10 different sequences (markers) amplified among 19 species (ca. 1/16 plate) for the first try. I almost finished lab work and we are going to send the pooled samples soon. But I still do not know how I will analyze this data. I'm familiar with programs such as MrBayes or Paup, but the difference here is that in the end we will have many sequences and we expect to have hybrid species where some species will have more than one sequence. Therefore I guess I need two things:
    - a platform to analyze sequences from 454 and exlude duplicate ones, get quality scores etc.
    - a program to analyze that in phylogenetical context
    Is anybody here aware about something that could be useful for me? Or maybe you can give me some tips?
    By now there is one paper describing applicance of NGS in constructing phylogeny (Griffin et al., BMC Biology 9 (1), 19+) and they used galaxy, so I guess this will be my first try too. But on the other hand analysis they did with the data wasn't satisfactory.
    I will be glad for any suggestions or advices! Thank you in advance!

You might want to start by simply separating the data by marker and species. Are you using MIDs and sequencing multiple samples together in each lane? You could use Roche's AVA software to separate everything out and combine duplicate reads into consensus reads. That will reduce the number of sequences you have to deal with and you may be able to use the programs you're familiar with.

*disclaimer* While I have done a lot of amplicon sequencing on the 454 and have used AVA quite a bit, I know very little about phylogenetic analysis, so my advice may be way off base.

Comment

QIIME should help you to do some aspects of what you want to do.

You can cluster sequences by identity using uclust (and other methods), pick representative sequences from the clusters and build distance matrices and trees from this. For amplicons other than 16S you would need to put together custom databases as reference for the aligners, but other people have been doing that for fungal sequences and the developers are active, friendly and helpful:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses