SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PacBio Library Prep workshop and PacBio SMART-Portal bootcamp - UC Davis - April 2015 DNATECH Events / Conferences 1 04-02-2015 08:33 AM
2-hour run on Oxford Nanopore MinION gringer Bioinformatics 0 09-09-2014 05:15 AM

Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
BioKiwi

Default PacBio vs MinION

To compare PacBio long reads with MinION for de novo assembly of bacterial genomes what one should consider for library prep and assembly.
BioKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
luc

I am not sure what you are asking for. The PacBio option works: 1 library prep, sequence 1 SMRT-cell & assemble the data - you get a "finished" genome. If playing around with new technology is your goal, then the minion is worth considering.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

If the aim is to compare performance of two platforms. I would use the same sheared and size selected DNA from a bacteria with reference genome to prepare libraries for each platform. Then would sequence them to a certain Mb or Gb (can subsample reads to equal bases if one platform output is higher than the other) and use them for assembly and alignment. Metrics such as N50 (L50), contig number, proportion of data used for assembly, evenness of coverage, gaps and GC biases can be used for comparison.

Last edited by nucacidhunter; 06-19-2015 at 06:34 PM.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
BioKiwi

Thanks for replies. I wonder if I can use similar approach for transcript isoform analysis.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

With mapping and assembly of DNA, to a known reference, it is relatively straightforward to determine which platform is better.

With isoform analysis, you're bringing in a huge number of additional variables; you won't know the correct answer, so you will have very little ability to evaluate which platform is doing a better job.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #6
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

I agree with Brian about isoform analysis potential issues. With current knowledge the best option is to access a well annotated fungal species with small genome or C. elegans (to keep sequencing cost down) and prepare full-length dscDNA from mRNA fraction using SMART technology and prepare libraries for both platforms. Transcripts sequences can be used for comparison against annotated regions and genome to compare the coverage of known isoforms and potential new isoform discovery of two platforms.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #7
maxsalm

Another option may be to get in touch with the Snyder lab and study the same transcriptomes used in their exploration of PacBio long-reads:

http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/va.../nbt.3242.html
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v3.../nbt.2705.html
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/27/9869.abstract
maxsalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
BioKiwi

Thank you very much everyone for your posts. I have much clearer idea to plan my Honours project.