SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Measuring expression correlation between miRNA and it's target gene tamari Bioinformatics 0 02-10-2013 04:38 AM
Gene expression correlation mgaelle General 0 05-02-2012 07:37 AM
PubMed: Correlation of global and gene-specific DNA methylation in maternal-infant pa Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 11-10-2010 07:20 AM

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
balaji

Default Methylation and Expression correlation

I have 3 samples and I am doing a analysis on 2 samples to identify correlated/anticorrelated genes.
I have identified some differentially methylated genes while comparing sample1 and sample2, i want to correlate the methylation values against expression values in sample1 and sample2. And then describe if the gene is correlated or anti-correlated. I would like to have some r (correlation value)and p-values from these comparisons. Is it possible to get some other statistics measure to identify significant genes.
I hope I explained it clearly. Thank you for your help.
Updated: I am working with mouse species

Last edited by balaji; 09-16-2013 at 01:26 AM.
balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
simonandrews
Simon Andrews

You need to be careful with this type of analysis as it's really easy to get false correlations. The big problem is CpG islands. These are generally unmethylated and genes with CpG islands are generally higher expressed than those without so across all genes you get a negative correlation between promoter methylation and expression, but it's far from clear that there is any causal link between the two.

If you're going to do this kind of analysis I'd recommend either doing the analysis separately in CpG island containing genes, or finding some way to account for this potential bias in your stats. Frankly, our experience has been that outside some specific examples (oocytes are the best one, where there is a positive correlation between expression and methylation in both gene bodies and promoters), that the linkage between methylation and expression is greatly exaggerated.
simonandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
chadn737

What species are you working in? Methylation is very context specific.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
correlation, expression, methylation