SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bowtie2 long index(.bt21) and tophat sbdk82 Bioinformatics 5 09-04-2015 06:32 AM
Could not find Bowtie2 index files (genome.*.bt2) Juntheboon Bioinformatics 10 03-03-2015 11:25 AM
Tophat Can't Find Bowtie2 Index!?!?! thickrick99 RNA Sequencing 1 08-12-2014 11:41 PM
How to create bowtie2 index for use in Gene Pattern mara34 RNA Sequencing 4 02-03-2014 01:29 AM
How to align reads to multiple index in bowtie2 ssharma Bioinformatics 3 07-16-2013 03:13 AM

Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
imsharmanitin
Postdoc Cancer Bioinformatics

Default transcriptome_index Bowtie2 Index

Dear all,

As far as understand Tophat2 creates an transcriptome_index which also includes Bowtie2 Index files using GTF and the genome file. Then why do we need to supply Bowtie2 Index to create transcriptome index for the first time.

I tried to create transcriptome index without supplying bowtie2 index files and it gave following error.

tophat2 -G ../data/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.gtf --transcriptome-index ./transcriptome_index/ ../data/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.dna.primary_assembly.fa

[2015-06-30 12:25:22] Building transcriptome files with TopHat v2.0.13
-----------------------------------------------
[2015-06-30 12:25:22] Checking for Bowtie
Bowtie version: 2.2.4.0
[2015-06-30 12:25:24] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (../data/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.dna.primary_assembly.fa.*.bt2)

However, after that I created bowtie2 index files and ran same process and no error was produced.
imsharmanitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
GenoMax

Tophat2 uses the entire human genome index files and then creates a "transcriptome-only" subset using information in the GTF file. You only need to do this once, as you discovered.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
imsharmanitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
Tophat2 uses the entire human genome index files and then creates a "transcriptome-only" subset using information in the GTF file. You only need to do this once, as you discovered.

so this will be the workflow:

1) generate whole genome index using bowtie2
Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.dna.primary_assembly.fa
Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.gtf

2) the using tophat 2 to create a "transcriptome-only" subset using the whole genome index flie created in step 1

3) point the tophat 2 to the directory containing "transcriptome-only" subset using

--transcriptome-index <directory containing "transcriptome-only" subset>

for subsequent runs
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #4
GenoMax

That is correct. When you are using --transcriptome-only option consider additional options (e.g. -T) that become relevant (scroll down to find the --transcriptome-only option section): https://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/manual.shtml#toph.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
imsharmanitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
That is correct. When you are using --transcriptome-only option consider additional options (e.g. -T) that become relevant (scroll down to find the --transcriptome-only option section): https://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/manual.shtml#toph.
If i understood correctly, when we use the --transcriptome-index without -T then the reads will be first mapped to the transcriptome-index and the reads which fail to match will be mapped to genome (just like using only -G option)

on the other hand if i use -T then mapping will happen only with transcriptome and report only those mappings as genomic mappings.

if i want to map to genome only then use of -G and -T should be avoided.

Also as far i have read and understood mapping to both transcriptome and genome will be an ideal approach i.e. use of -T should be avoided. Am I right?

Tags
bioinformactics, bowtie 2 indexes, rna-seq, tophat 2, transcriptome index