SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding the Similarity/dissimilarity of RNAseq samples using correlation dena.dinesh Bioinformatics 2 06-09-2015 12:42 PM
RNAseq vs Microarray willemate Introductions 6 03-19-2014 04:29 AM
EST, microarray, RNAseq difference? dkrtndhkd Bioinformatics 1 08-26-2013 10:32 AM
Transcriptomics RNASeq + Microarray dataset rmflight Bioinformatics 1 12-14-2012 12:27 AM
correlation in amplification RNAseq papori Bioinformatics 15 09-05-2012 11:34 AM

Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
chariko

Default RnaSeq vs Microarray correlation

Hi all,

I have an experiment with 80 samples both of them run with microarray and RnaSeq. I want to correlate the results between the two technologies.

I received the results from the RnaSeq experiment in two ways:

a) Raw data (fastq files)
b)Table of ensembl idīs counts (no idea how this analysis was done).

I did the analysis in two ways:

1)
For the RnaSeq experiment I took the ensembl idīs counts, translated them into Gene Symbol identifiers (various ensembl Id`s derived in the same Gene Symbol so I just used one of them randomly selected and the other ensembl idīs were discarded), and normalized them with voom (log2 with some modifications).

For the Microarray experiment I normalized them (RMA) using a curated database (hgu133plus2hsentrezgcdf). I translated the entrez idīs probes into Gene Symbol identifiers.

I did the correlation between microarray and RnaSeq (cor.test, two sides, spearman method)) and I obtained good results for all the samples (07-0.9). Attached figure 1 with the scatterplot of sample 1.

2)
I took the fastq files and analyzed them taking into account the HG19 GRC 37 RefSeq as reference. I translated the refseq idīs into gene symbol. I randomly selected one gene symbol per refseq id.

Same microarray data was used for the correlation.

I did the same correlatin as before but the results were worse (0.3-48). Figure 2 shows scatterplot of sample 1.

My question is, does anybody have a clue about why starting with refseq idīs is not giving the same good results? Any clues?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: png Figure1.png (15.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Figure2.png (23.2 KB, 4 views)
chariko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
correlation, ensembl ids, microarray, refseq id, rnaseq