Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for gene/pathway conervation analysis among genomes

I am interested in looking at a number of genes in 2 or 3 closely related eukaryotic genomes. I think interesting questions to answer would be:
    1. Which subset among my genes is most conserved in all the genomes.
    2. Which set of genes show higher sequence similarity/conservation as compared to
      • all the other conserved genes
      • exon sequence identity vs related non-coding regions such as intron sequence identity, promoter region, 3' UTR, +/- 500bp around the gene. This should give an idea of negative selection pressure.
    3. Which of these genes exist in syntenic regions and which of these regions seem to have moved to different regions in the genome.

I am trying to think which questions would be appropriate to ask, and good tools to answer them rather than manually running hundreds of different custom analyses.

I have found the following tools, but they all seem to be doing a specific analysis for a given ortholog pair/region:
    • Phastcons for producing conservation scores per base and identifying blocks of conserved regions within genes.
    • PIECE (pubmed 21041978) and SVC (pubmed 15991338) for exon-intron comparisons.
    • Synmap for whole genome synteny.
    • Gevo to visualize regions for conserved elements.
    • MUMmer for whole chromosome alignment.

As you can see, these tools solve slightly related problems, and many of them are visual front ends and can't be used easily to run systemic analyses from a script.

What sort of tools would you recommend and which questions should I be asking?

(crossposted on https://www.biostars.org/p/137177/)

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses