No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novel Transcript discovery in paired samples

Hi all,

I hope you can advise me on a tool for RNA-seq data analysis for paired samples.

I will analyse data from RNA-seq experiment. We have 2 samples for each of our 3 patients (before and after treatment).

We would like to investigate two things:
    1) change in expression of known transcripts between before and after treatment sample

2) identify novel transcripts and compare their expression between before and after treatment sample

We plan to align reads with the use of TopHat and then we considered using DESeq2 as it allows to take under consideration the paired design.
    What workflow would you recommend for such a design?

I will appreciate any advice.

Best,
    astar.

Hi Astar,

I'm not an expert in the field, but I have just done something similar with my data so here's my answer.

For your point 1) I will map with tophat2, count your reads using HTSeq, providing HTSeq a GTF with known transcripts (you can get that from Ensembl or UCSC) and then use DESeq2 with those reads.

For your point 2) I have just used a tool called StringTie, which has performed very well in my hands to annotate new transcripts. StringTie provides a GTF file, that you can use afterwards for counting with HTSeq and DESeq2.

Have to mention that I've only done point 2, but that has identified known transcripts as well as new ones all at once. If you want to separate the analysis to report old and new transcripts independently, you'll have to filter the output at the end.

I hope this is helpful and not too late for you,

good luck

Miriam

Comment

Hi Miriam,

thank you very much for your reply and your advice.
      I will try it out for sure

Best,
      astar

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses