No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip-seq read extension (36bp->200bp)

Hola!

I was wandering if there's any command line tools (bedtools, samtools) other than R packages, to extend the reads from the base length b/w 36-50 bp to 200bp strand specific. I dont want to use R, as I have to load the file in the environment which is time consuming, I can make awk script easily, but there might be something present already. I want to do it because if I generate a coverage(bedGraph file) directly collapsing the bam file, I get small continuous mountains, which are more or less the referring to single gene target. (Look at the attached picture)

Also, another question is, does the chip-seq data should be normalized (same number of reads in control and sample) before calling peaks in Macs. For me, the mockIP control always less than 2/3rd the number of reads of control. I did a test, the number of positive peaks went down by 30-40% and -ve peaks came up by 30% after using Macs on normalized data.

Thanks
    Sukhi
    Attached Files

Most genome browsers don't like it when your reads extend beyond the end of chromosomes which will get a lot more of when you extend your reads. See:
    I’ve been spending my down time this last week looking into ways to streamline my data processing. Basically that has meant learning how to write scripts. This is a little script I just wrote that …

The second script does exactly what you are asking for.
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      There is ucsc tool called bedclip which sorts the read off-end of chromosome problem.

I was tried using your script but I am getting "Unrecognized character \xE2" problems while executing it, I checked it and I think its because of utf encoding problems. Would providing a download link for the original source file, solve the problem!!.

Also, in this script do reconstruct the bed file after extension because the some reads in coverage will overlap. I am working with bedGraphs not bed. What do you think.

Eg:
      Chr1 40 50 4
      Chr2 110 150 3

After adding 150 to both co-ordinates, the reads will overlap and should be summed up (4th column-density), if I am not wrong.

Thanks

Comment

I was looking all over for a script that did what bedclip did. Thanks for the heads up. Anyway, it was a good motivation to learn some Perl.

It seems hosting code on wordpress.com is not trivial. I uploaded the file here:
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

It appears there is a UCSC utility that does what you are looking for as well called bedExtendRanges.
          --------------
          Ethan

Comment

Sorted

Hey,

Your perl script works fine for me , but the chromosome off-end clipping seems not to be the perfect one, but bedclip works fine as well.
            I tried using bedExtendRanges but needs some database configuration, so dropped it.
            So, I am currently using your script which extends the reads directionally, then bedClip to clip the off-end chromosome co-ordinates and mergeBed from bedTools to merge the overlapping reads.

Works good.

Cheers
            Sukhdeep Singh

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses