SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Werid RNA traces- bump above 28S - can I make libraries from this? Noa Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 11-08-2013 12:37 PM
How important are A260/A230 and 28S/18s ratios are for RNA to be used miRNA deepseq smegha RNA Sequencing 0 08-20-2013 12:21 PM
Anyone know what this peak is on my BA trace? Gina_P Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 01-11-2013 12:35 PM
Bioanalyzers: High 28S rRNA Peak libprep Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 12-20-2012 03:30 AM

Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
meggie.gr

Default No 28S peak

Hey,

I am using Direct-zol™ RNA MiniPrep to isolate my total RNA from cells in TRIzol. I did isolate it and run bioanalyzer - results in attachment. I am clearly missing 28S peak, material is coming from M.lignano, flatworm. Any ideas? Bioanalyzer also gives an error: unexpected signal at 5S. Is my RNA degraded? Thanks a lot!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6M RNA quality.pdf (1.44 MB, 60 views)
meggie.gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
kwaraska

While I know nothing about your organism, I do know that if you denature drosophila RNA the peaks are virtually on top of each other-more like a doublet than two distinct peaks-whereas if you don't denature it they resolve better.

Maybe try running it non-denatured and see what you get?
kwaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
MLog

"material is coming from M.lignano" - Do you mean Macrostomum lignano, a flatworm? I recently extracted RNA from another flatworm, Opistorchis, and it looks exactly the same.
THis is actually not rare for invertebrates, i've seen the same for snails, amphipods etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ofel_24Jan13_RNA.jpg (69.6 KB, 33 views)
MLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
meggie.gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLog View Post
"material is coming from M.lignano" - Do you mean Macrostomum lignano, a flatworm? I recently extracted RNA from another flatworm, Opistorchis, and it looks exactly the same.
THis is actually not rare for invertebrates, i've seen the same for snails, amphipods etc.
Yes, I am working with flatworms. I indeed see that more often while testing other flatworm species. In denaturing conditions the bigger subunit dissociates and forms two smaller, which seems to overlap with 18S. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
meggie.gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaraska View Post
While I know nothing about your organism, I do know that if you denature drosophila RNA the peaks are virtually on top of each other-more like a doublet than two distinct peaks-whereas if you don't denature it they resolve better.

Maybe try running it non-denatured and see what you get?
Thanks a lot! You are totally correct. We confirmed that with running both: my total RNA and Drospohila RNA on the gel. Peaks looks similar too. Thanks again!