Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to align reads to other reads (not to reference genome)

Hello,

I have a 5 yeast genomes (Illumina MiSeq) -- I will call them A, B, C, D, and E.

I grew a colony of yeast over a period of a couple days under four different conditions in order to see how each particular condition would affect the genome of the yeast. These conditions should induce mutations in the DNA of the yeast.

Thus, A is the genome of the yeast I started with, and B-E (one for each condition) are the "altered" genomes of the yeast that I ended up at the end of the experiment.

I have aligned A-E to the S288C S. cerevisiae reference genome using BWA and called SNPs through two methods (with the mpileup function in SAMtools; also, via GATK and VCFtools), but these methods haven't quite given me the results I wanted.

To be brief, when mapped to the reference genome, Genomes B-E show fewer mutations than when Genome A is mapped to the reference genome. I would like to align B-E to A to call SNPs/INDELs. I hope, in this way, that I can get a better fit of B-E onto A (since B-E are more closely related to A than they are to the reference genome, and thus should provide a better fit).

How do I go about mapping B-E onto A? Do I need to process A to serve as a reference genome, and, if so, how would I do that? I have A-E as .fastq files, as well as all the .SAM and .BAM files after aligning to the reference genome.

I will readily admit I am not particularly good at working with computers, but if you request any other information, please let me know.

That's kind of difficult. You could assemble dataset A into contigs, map the other datasets to it, and call variations, which is easy - but the coordinates of the variations would differ from your original reference so it might not be very informative. You'd have to perform some additional steps to determine which mutation goes with which gene, though it is doable.

It depends on your goal, of course (could you clarify it?) but the best solution may be to modify the original genome by applying the called variations from A to it, then mapping everything else to the modified genome. Due to indels, the coordinates would still change (though perhaps only slightly in this case) so it would be more difficult to analyze, but that's probably the best way to determine the difference between A and the other samples while retaining a structure similar to the reference.

If you want to do an analysis with respect to the reference coordinates (which is the most straightforward method), it's best to simply map everything to the reference and compare the variations, as you are already doing. How exactly is it not giving the results you expect?

Comment

If you are looking for reference-free SNP calling -forgive me if I've read too quickly- you might try KisSnp and/or take a look at this review.
      Last edited by syfo; 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM. Reason: link fix

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
        That's kind of difficult. You could assemble dataset A into contigs, map the other datasets to it, and call variations, which is easy - but the coordinates of the variations would differ from your original reference so it might not be very informative. You'd have to perform some additional steps to determine which mutation goes with which gene, though it is doable.
        Can you go over how to do this in a bit more detail? I'm not so concerned as to where (within each gene) the mutation is; I'm more concerned about the overall number of mutations.

It depends on your goal, of course (could you clarify it?)
        Hehe, I am not sure how much I can say, as this is not my intellectual property.

I do apologize

Comment

Sorry about the slow reply -- can you go over how to do this?

Comment

Sorry about the slow reply...I thought I had posted this a couple days ago but apparently I had not.

How would I do this?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses