No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genomic comparison

Hi everyone,
    I wish to ask you a question about genomic comparison.
    I"m currently working with Salmonella serovar Senftenberg. The genome of S. Senftenberg is not published, but I have a list of S. Senftenberg ORFs.
    I wish to compare S. Senftenberg ORFs against all Salmonella enterica genomes (the site "ncbi blast" has the genomes of 1000 Salmonella serovars that can be downloaded as *.nsq file).
    In the end I wish to understand the function of each gene in S. Senftenberg using this comparison.
    How can I make this comparison, can you please recommend me of a useful program ?

Ortholog finder

To do this procedure 'well' you can utilize OrthoMCL. For that, you will probably want all the Salmonella genomes (you may want some E. coli reference genomes as well); this way, you can cross-compare all the CDs and find the ones which are mutual best hits. Then you can transfer the best annotations within each family to your new CDs. Ones that are missing (ie in your genome, not the others) can be compared to other proteobacteria.

Comment

orthomcl

Trying to get orthomcl to run actually. I'm on step 4 of 13 and its taking a long time. Currently, I'm running into the error of "Can't locate DBD/mysql.pm in @INC", and I'm not sure how to rectify this. I have mysql installed, and its working, and DBI and DBD databases are installed also... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

unsure

So, it has been a while since I ran orthomcl and I would hope that it has seen upgrades since then. Certain steps always did take ... a long time; even a very long time. So, don't be disheartened if something seems to be going slowly. As to test your install, I'd run it on two or three genomes first, just to make sure it will complete.

The developers have always been very responsive. You should ask them if you are running into a problem that is recurrent and show stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by squidsnw View Post
          Trying to get orthomcl to run actually. I'm on step 4 of 13 and its taking a long time. Currently, I'm running into the error of "Can't locate DBD/mysql.pm in @INC", and I'm not sure how to rectify this. I have mysql installed, and its working, and DBI and DBD databases are installed also... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
          OrthoMCL is trying to access the database and that access is provided by DBD::mysql. If you are getting a "Can't locate xxx in @INC" that means the module is not installed where Perl looks by default. You can modify the script to find the module if you ran Build for example, but did not install it. Try running the following command:

Code:
          perl -MDBD::mysql -e 1
          If it prints nothing then it is installed. If it prints "Can't find DBD/mysql.pm in @INC" then it is not installed.

Comment

I was actually able to rectify that error by moving the file into the lib perl was looking in. Thank you for your help. Now I am getting a different error. The orthomclInstallSchema program when properly run returns the following error.
            "DBD::mysql initialisation failed: Can't locate object method "driver" via package "DBD::mysql" at /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DBI.pm line 815, <F> line 14."
            I'm not sure what this means as far as what is wrong with the running of the code, and any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

You need to have DBI installed, then install DBD::mysql. Did you install these via CPAN or build them yourself?

Comment

I installed it with CPAN.

Comment

Originally posted by squidsnw View Post
                  I installed it with CPAN.
                  Okay. Do you recall seeing any error messages about tests that failed?

Comment

Generally, there are a number of steps that I go through when I'm having trouble with a database. Is the server started? How you do this will vary depending on whether you installed MySQL from the installer or from MacPorts. Were the tables in the database populated, or was the data not loaded for some reason? You can check this from the mysql command line. Bear in mind that I have not used orthoMCL and I that I am just making suggestions. These type of errors are commonly related to the issues that I just mentioned or something to do with Perl, which is what it looks like. Or, it could be do to the script you are using and I can't really help you with that.

Comment

So I was able to fix the overarching problem with the entire installation. I switched from a Mac to a Linux machine and the entire install process took about 3 hours. I'm still not sure why the Mac was unable to do it, but Linux definitely can and I am running the program now. Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Awesome! Glad you got it to work. What you described is a general solution to problems I have had in the past. While it's interesting to try and make things work on a Mac it is sometimes counterproductive. Time is better spent analyzing data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses