Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAP2 and deletions/insertions

I was told that SOAP should be able to detect deletions and insertions up to 3bp.

So i made a reference file and a file with a normal read and some reads with 1,2,3 bp deleted and inserted. Just to test how the output format etc would look like and to get optimal parameter settings.

i have used different -e settings etc, but it appears that not a single read with deletion/insertions gets aligned...

All i get is

Begin Alignment ...
    8 ok 0.00 sec
    Total Reads: 8
    Alignment: 1 (12.50%)

-> Only the normal read gets aligned...

Is there a secret parameter i should set somewhere?

Hi
    I can't help you so much but I can report another strange behaviour of SOAP2. Despite the fact that you vary the -v option that is the total amount of errors (mismatches) allowed in one read the output that you obtain is always the same. I Try to change several parameters like the seed length without understand how to specify an exact number of errors.

Despite the fact that SOAP2 is one of the most used aligners it has some troubles: there is no a clear documentation, the source code is not available and hence we actually don't know what kind of heuristics are applied in order to speed up the query time...

Francesco

Comment

Well, I can tell you the following.

I have simulated loads of data. I have generated datasets with more than a billion reads where error profiles/PCR errors/sequencing errors were simulated and acted as a background for real SNPs that needed to be discovered. The real SNPs always come out on top. So far so good, but with deletions/insertions, I am completely confused.

Indeed, the manual/documentation is not clear. Did you have any success contacting the authors?

Comment

Originally posted by joa_ds View Post
        Indeed, the manual/documentation is not clear. Did you have any success contacting the authors?
        Yes I contact them more than once.... but they never reply...
        It is really strange that the most used aligner (or at least one of the most used) is so obscure.....

Comment

I just checked out their site and found the following thing.

SOAPindel: SOAPindel is developed to find the insertion and deletion specially for re-sequence technology : Coming soon.

I am just wondering if indel detection is already included in SOAP2? Has anyone ever seen an indel being detected by using SOAP2?

Comment

Bwa-maq

How about bwa-maq (http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml), Pindel(seems not available now)

Comment

Originally posted by joa_ds View Post

I have simulated loads of data. I have generated datasets with more than a billion reads where error profiles/PCR errors/sequencing errors were simulated and acted as a background for real SNPs that needed to be discovered. The real SNPs always come out on top. So far so good, but with deletions/insertions, I am completely confused.

In your simulations do you introduce indels or it is only single base changes?
              How does that affects your results?
              -drd

Comment

Originally posted by dingxiaofan1 View Post
                How about bwa-maq (http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml), Pindel(seems not available now)
                Pindel is still being actively updated.

New version of Pindel is being tested with the following additional functions:
                1. Allow sequence errors/SNPs in the same reads containing INDELs/SVs
                2. non-template sequence in deletions
                3. inversions
                4. tandem duplications
                5. breakpoints of large insertions

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses