No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large sequencing projects

Hi
    We're a small lab adjacent to a large genetic institute with many Mendelian syndromes awaiting exome sequencing.
    We wish to perform exome sequencing for > 30 individuals all at once (better prices, same technology, etc.) and preferably have everything from capture to data analysis in one place.
    Any ideas?

My preference would be paired end on Illumina with ~ x50 coverage (don't care about the capture technology).

Has anyone had any experience with Otogenetics?
    They offer nice deals + analysis at DNAnexus. However, as we wish to send many samples we were wondering what others might think? I find it creepy not to find any related links/articles/press about them.

Thanks
    Barak

Hi Barak,
    I have sent you a private message in regards to this.
    I work for MGRC and we a have a pipeline ideal for your application. We can offer sequencing, exome capture, bioinformatics analysis and have our own browser for easy visualisation of the data.
    We would be very happy to discuss the project with you. Please contact me if you require any further information.
    Jo
    Jo Mason

[email protected]

Comment

Otogenetics? I guess they will have to outsource your project to some big service providers.

Comment

BGI also, they had some lovely initial exome data albeit at low coverage, but it was the first to be released

Comment

Originally posted by lwwhu View Post
          Otogenetics? I guess they will have to outsource your project to some big service providers.
          Can you be more specific? You mean they are too small for 30 samples?
          I could find an NIH grant on their name from 2009:

Comment

Originally posted by lwwhu View Post
            Do you have any justification for such a statement? The query is about 30 samples; this is less than what fits into one HiSeq run, which is what otogenetics uses. Clearly they can handle 30 samples.

Comment

I do not think there is a problem with 30 samples there. My concern was different. I'm about to spend more than 60000$ and I wish to feel more confident that the company is alive and kicking.

More and more small seq centers pop out and give good prices. and this will grow more in the near future.
              Ba

Comment

I hope you did not use them because they are very unprofessional. They don't respond to emails or phone calls. Then send data that with no explanation. I received an excel spreadsheet with a bunch of files of bioanalyzer traces that is very unclear which samples go with which.

Hope you didn't end up using them.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
                  Do you have any justification for such a statement? The query is about 30 samples; this is less than what fits into one HiSeq run, which is what otogenetics uses. Clearly they can handle 30 samples.
                  If you only really knew.

Read the 3rd one down.

BGI, the largest genomics center in the world, provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for medical, agricultural and environmental applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Geneus View Post
                    If you only really knew.

Read the 3rd one down.

http://bgiamericas.com/about-us/customer-testimonials/
                    this is very interesting. thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by tajeff88 View Post
                      I hope you did not use them because they are very unprofessional. They don't respond to emails or phone calls. Then send data that with no explanation. I received an excel spreadsheet with a bunch of files of bioanalyzer traces that is very unclear which samples go with which.

Hope you didn't end up using them.

We did use them for several projects (> 10 samples each).
                      this is not a recommendation though. there are ups and downs for working with Otogenetics and I will not list them here.
                      The purpose of the post was to understand if this company is real and can handle the jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by barak View Post
                        We did use them for several projects (> 10 samples each).
                        this is not a recommendation though. there are ups and downs for working with Otogenetics and I will not list them here.
                        The purpose of the post was to understand if this company is real and can handle the jobs.
                        Hi Barak,

would you mind share the pros/cons? Maybe privately?
                        thanks
                        Eppi

Comment

eppi,

I realize this thread is old, however I wanted to take the time and respond. I was recently bought on board the Otogenetics team as their Marketing Manager. In addition to myself, we now have a new CEO and I can assure you that several changes are taking place here regarding service and quality. Please feel free to contact me directly with any future project you have and let us prove to you that Otogenetics can provide you not only with accurate data, but also a positive customer experience.

Thank you,
                          Richard Grandy
                          Otogenetics
                          404-492-9403
                          1-855-otogene

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                          0 responses