No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird bioanalyser profile

Dear all,
    I am trying to set up ChIP-seq in our lab. My problem is that, following ChIP, the bioanalyser profile of my input and samples is very different. The input shows plenty of material in the 2-300bp range. However, all my ChIP samples show a peak at around 90bp and go to baseline after that (see attached).
    Just to give you some info on the procedure I am using:
    Starting with 7 x 10^7 cells (Drosophila Kc cells)
    Fix with 1% formaldehyde for 10 minutes
    Sonicate with the Bioruptor for 7 pulses (30secs ON 30secs OFF)
    (I've optimised the number of pulses to make sure I get a smear of between 100bp and 1Kb when I look at an aliquot on a gel following reversal of crosslinking)
    I block samples with Rabbit IgG for 3-5 hours and treat with the antibody for the TF I am studying O/N.
    The beads are agarose G. I do the RNase, reversal of crosslinks and Proteinase K steps, and do Phenol-Chloroform extraction to purify using Glycoden and carrier tRNA.
    I have also done this exact procedure with the positive control H3K4me3. qPCR indicated an enrichment of a positive site by 40-50% so I assumed the ChIP had worked. However, the bioanalyser profile is the same as for my samples with a peak at 90bp and nothing bigger.
    If anyone has seen this kind of thing before and has any ideas I'd be really grateful.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

The spike and dip is present also in input, and is likely instrument related. I would not expect to see a mear on the dna1000 chip, we usually can not detect our sample on hs chips before library amplification.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add: I also measured my samples on the Qubit and am getting very high (unusually for ChIP) concentrations, around 80 ng per microlitre (in a total of 30 microlitres). Attempts at library preparation (done by the sequencing centre) of these samples has failed as there is not enough material at around 200-300bp.

Comment

Originally posted by nisha barak View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add: I also measured my samples on the Qubit and am getting very high (unusually for ChIP) concentrations, around 80 ng per microlitre (in a total of 30 microlitres). Attempts at library preparation (done by the sequencing centre) of these samples has failed as there is not enough material at around 200-300bp.
        Hi Nisha, I also recently did a ChIP experiment that we have done previously, and got 52ng/ul in a total of 50ul on the Qubit. We haven't tried the library prep yet but are wondering if it is a waste of time and reagents. Let me know if you find anything else out!

Comment

Hi Iterhune,
          I have discovered that the high amount of DNA indicated by the Qubit was actually the tRNA carrier I was using during phenol-chloroform extraction. When I ran my samples on a gel I just got a concentrated 90 bp band. On the other hand if I used spin columns (and therefore did not use a tRNA carrier) instead of phenol-chloroform extraction, this band disappeared. Now I know that my ChIP had too low a DNA amount to successfully make a library so I am instead trying to do several ChIPs which I will pool together.

Comment

Originally posted by nisha barak View Post
            Hi Iterhune,
            I have discovered that the high amount of DNA indicated by the Qubit was actually the tRNA carrier I was using during phenol-chloroform extraction. When I ran my samples on a gel I just got a concentrated 90 bp band. On the other hand if I used spin columns (and therefore did not use a tRNA carrier) instead of phenol-chloroform extraction, this band disappeared. Now I know that my ChIP had too low a DNA amount to successfully make a library so I am instead trying to do several ChIPs which I will pool together.
            Can I just pause at this point to offer a blanket denunciation on the use of "tRNA carrier" on/with any sample that is to be sequenced? I have sequenced a fair amount of yeast in my day deriving from this source. As a result I am carrying a lot of unsublimated rage over this practice.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses