SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with super abundant transcripts in RNAseq kirby Bioinformatics 10 03-15-2013 07:12 AM
Sequencing a Low diversity library on the HiSeq Simcom Illumina/Solexa 38 09-26-2012 06:01 AM
Probability of sequencing low abundant transcripts from non-normalized library go9kata Bioinformatics 0 03-08-2011 02:57 AM
filtering out reads from abundant transcripts before using velevt Marco Bioinformatics 2 02-03-2010 10:54 AM
Mixed fragment size normalized cDNA sequencing jOn 454 Pyrosequencing 0 10-24-2008 08:06 AM

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
go9kata

Default Probability of sequencing low abundant transcripts from non-normalized library

Dear users,

I am new to this community and this is my first thread, I am also new to next generation sequencing analysis but I have interesting issue and I want to get some feedback from you. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Here is a scenario:
> non-normalized eukaryotic transcriptome library
> 3' Tag Sequencing; Reads of 100nts length; Illumina HiSeq 2000 Single Reads Machine

Two sequencing Attempts:
1) 50 Million Reads at one run with starting RNA consentration X
2) 3 Runs with respectively 10MilReads, 20MilReads, 20 MilReads with starting RNA concentration X

The RNA concentration is the same in the sample before any of the four runs!

Question: Do I get the same set of transcriptome representation between attempt 1 and attempt 2?

Note: Assuming that the probability of getting a very low abundant transcript is constant between runs, i would expect that the chance of observing these transcript in a smaller sampling size is less than in a higher sampling size

Predicted observation: In the second attempt after adding results I would expect that the transcriptome is overwhelmed only by transcripts of higher concentration in the sample, while I would expect to get more less abundant transcrips in the one time sequencing run with 50MilReads (attempt 1)

Thank you for your discussions!
go9kata is offline   Reply With Quote