SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWBIE: What is relation between SNP calling, INDEL calling and Genotype calling? arkilis Bioinformatics 4 10-01-2013 05:57 PM
SNP calling vs. individual curated genes using 454 data from multiple heterozygotes DFJ111 Bioinformatics 2 11-18-2012 04:19 AM
Order of genotypes likelihoods for multiple alleles in vcf Karen Chait Berman Bioinformatics 0 07-18-2012 11:38 PM
Calling genotypes on multiple trios a11msp Bioinformatics 0 04-17-2012 01:50 AM
SNP base calling for multiple samples shuang Bioinformatics 2 09-07-2011 02:06 PM

Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
sgcsd

Default SNP calling from multiple genotypes

Hi
I am new to snp discovery analysis. We recently sequenced a wild type and two mutant lines using illumine. The wild type is different from the reference genome available. Can anyone suggest a pipeline for identifying the SNPs in WT-Mutant.

Do we need to assemble our WT before calling SNPs in mutant or can we use the reference genome to map the reads from both the WT and mutant and call the SNPs.

Appreciate your help.
Thank you
sgcsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
vivek_
PhD Student

I think you'd go through the SNP calling in the same way for both sets of samples. (i.e.., mapping to reference genome and calling SNPs using GATK/Samtools etc).

Then you could look at the common SNPs in dbSNP for the wild type strain and flag them in your wildtype variant files as being down to strain difference and proceed with the analysis for the remaining variants.
vivek_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
sgcsd

Thank you vivek.
So what I understood is run the SNP pipeline for both WT and mutant the same way and after we get the SNP file filter the common ones and focus on the SNPs different in both.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
vivek_
PhD Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcsd View Post
Thank you vivek.
So what I understood is run the SNP pipeline for both WT and mutant the same way and after we get the SNP file filter the common ones and focus on the SNPs different in both.
yes, you'd just have to download the strain specific mutations VCF from dbSNP to find the mutations that are common to your wild-type strain because of the strain differences between wildtype and mouse reference genome.
vivek_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
sgcsd

thank you vivek

Tags
bam, gatk, multiple genotypes, sam, snp calling