No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat2 - impact if insert size?

Hello
    We analyse Solid 5500 RNA seq reads. I used tophat2 for the alignment. We performed first the mapping with different options for the insert size and std deviation
    -r/--mate-inner-dist <int> This is the expected (mean) inner distance between mate pairs. For, example, for paired end runs with fragments selected at 300bp, where each end is 50bp, you should set -r to be 200. The default is 50bp.
    --mate-std-dev <int> The standard deviation for the distribution on inner distances between mate pairs. The default is 20bp.

Whatever the size / std dev was, we obtained exactly the same results, meaning these options seems not to be considered.
    Please let me know if someone else already saw that and how to fix it. Thanks a lot for your time

hello
    We do not understand why most of the parameters have absolutly NO impact (same results for -T for example)
    Anybody else saw that pleass?
    Thanks

Comment

Hey everybody,

has this problem been solved?

I am running TopHat2 version 2.0.13 and use default options with --mate-inner-dist 50 and --mate-std-dev 20.

When I draw 2x 100bp with a distance of 100kbp from my reference genome and map them with TopHat2 as paired end reads I get the following:

Reads are aligned with bit flags 97 and 145 meaning
      97 Read is paired -- Mate mapped reverse -- Read is first in pair
      145 Read is paired -- Read mapped reverse -- Read is second in pair

and

Left reads:
      Input : 1
      Mapped : 1 (100.0% of input)
      Right reads:
      Input : 1
      Mapped : 1 (100.0% of input)
      100.0% overall read mapping rate.

Aligned pairs: 1
      100.0% concordant pair alignment rate.

Why are is the read pair reported as concordantly aligned although I used the default --mate-inner-dist 50 and --mate-std-dev 20 option?

When I use a distance of 1mbp the bitflags stay the same but the reads are at least reported as discordantly aligned.

What I also observed when I align the first 100 read pairs of some real data I saw the following:

Aligned pairs: 9
      of these: 1 (11.1%) have multiple alignments
      9 (100.0%) are discordant alignments
      0.0% concordant pair alignment rate

But when I check the sam-file i see only 8 read-identifiers appearing two times. One read was mapped with bit flag 177 (Read is paired -- Read mapped reverse -- Mate mapped reverse -- Read is second in pair) which means that the mate was mapped reverse. But this mate is not present in the sam-file? Does anyone has a clue?
      Last edited by Mchicken; 01-28-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I assume that Tophat thinks there might be an intron in between the reads... perhaps if you adjust the max intron length parameter as well, it will change the results.

Comment

Thanks for your response Brian. This was indeed the reason for the concordant alignment with 100kbp distance.

But I still have the problem with the 177 bitflag, which tells me that the mate was mapped reverse but is missing in the SAM File.

And what I am also not aware of is how can I see from the SAM file if a read pair aligned concordantly or not? I always get the same SAM file reports regardless of whether I take 100bp long read pairs in a distance of 1kb or 10mbp, where the latter one should not be a concordant alignment.

Cheers,
          Mario

Comment

To the last issue:

According to http://broadinstitute.github.io/pica...ain-flags.html a hook at the second position ("read mapped in proper pair") is what I was looking for. And here also the stuff with "--mate-inner-dist 50 and --mate-std-dev 20" seems to work
            Last edited by Mchicken; 01-29-2015, 04:30 AM.

Comment

The flag '177' should not be present if the mate is missing from the sam file; sounds like a bug. Bit 0x2 essentially means "proper pair" while 0x8 means "mate unmapped". 0x8 is unset so the mate should be present and mapped.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses