SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tophat: uniquely mapped or multi-hit? mrfox Bioinformatics 1 06-27-2013 06:22 AM
[Cufflinks] Multi-Hit error burt Bioinformatics 6 08-10-2012 04:09 AM
TopHat SAM - Expressing Paired End Multi-reads Bio.X2Y Bioinformatics 2 05-28-2010 08:07 AM
Cuffdiff multi-protein vs multi-promoter RockChalkJayhawk Bioinformatics 2 03-26-2010 10:26 AM
MAQ multi hit file new2NW Bioinformatics 0 12-22-2009 09:40 AM

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
john_nl

Default Tophat - reporting only best hit given multi-reads/multi-maps.

Hello,

Maybe someone has an answer regarding the issue of multi-reads/multi-maps with Tophat.

With Bowtie, parameters can be set such that it only reports alignments in the specified stratum range using '-m'. Along with --best-strata I can force Bowtie to report only the best alignment and only if there is only one "best" alignment. (-m1 --best--strata)

My question is, how can I force Tophat to perform similar behavior? As far as I can tell there is no way to force Tophat to invoke Bowtie with --best-strata options...
I can get around this by running Bowtie alone before then using Tophat to map the remaining unmapped reads i suppose..
Tophat would then identify junction spanning reads, but as far as I can see it is only possible to prevent reporting of alignments when a read has more than x valid alignments- via the '-g' param.

Essentially, when a read maps to more than one location given a certain mismatch threshold, I wish to report the best alignment but only if the best alignment score is unique. This is a way to allocate reads given multi-maps.

Any thoughts?
john_nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
mrfox

I am also looking forward to seeing some advice on this because I think using '-g 1' in Tophat might be too conservative.
mrfox is offline   Reply With Quote