No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intronic reads, ongoing transcription and co-transcriptional splicing

Hi all

We have studied intronic reads in total RNA-seq data and have some new and interesting results. Briefly, we found that nascent (ongoing) transcription and co-transcriptional splicing can be detected by RNA-seq. For more details see:

This could explain the large proportion of intronic reads seen in many RNA-seq datasets..

Hope you like!

Adam Ameur
    Last edited by adameur; 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM.

That looks very exciting indeed! I was looking forward to such a study..

Comment

Being an author of this paper I’m obviously biased, but I’d like to highlight some aspects of this of this work that I think is of general interest for the design and analysis of RNA-seq data:

1) A large fraction of reads in total RNA-seq data are intronic, up to 40% in some samples. These intronic reads can be used to study the rate of nascent (ongoing) transcription, while exonic reads mainly measure mature mRNA levels. So intronic reads are not garbage, and why don’t try to use them to get a better view of the transcriptional activity in the sample...

2) Analysis tools should take into account the high proportion intronic reads detected in RNA-seq data sets. Also, it may be possible to develop new bioinformatics tools to study levels of ongoing transcription and splicing (based of the intronic read coverage).

3) PolyA+ RNA-seq gives very different results compared to total RNA-seq. For polyA+, a much higher fraction of reads are mapped to exons. So if you are mainly interested in mature mRNAs and don’t want to waste reads on the introns, it might be a good idea to go for polyA+.

These were just some points I’ve been thinking about. It would be great to hear about your experience with intronic reads and what you think about these ideas.

Comment

I remember an old (pre-next gen) cDNA library construction paper that recommended doing cytoplasm preps (that is, removing the nuclei from cell lysates) prior to isolating total RNA to avoid pre-spliced mRNAs.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Analysis of totalRNA-Seq data

Hi Adam Ameur (and other readers of this thread),

Found this thread after reading your article (Ameur et al 2011).
          I am presently challenged with the analysis of RNA-Seq data from rRNA depleted total-RNA from paired fresh frozen and FFPE human tissues. As observed in other studies, I also finds a large fraction (40-60 %) of the reads mapping to intronic regions (80-90% for FFPE).
          To generate expression profiles of the mature transcripts (based on the exonic reads) I have been considering to correct the total exonic reads for reads mapping to pre-mature exonic regions (defined from the intronic reads). The reads mapping to exon-exon junctions could perhaps be used as an indicator of the true mature expression level?

Appreciate commnets.

Cheers,
          Jakob

Comment

Hi Jakob,

Yes, I think it makes sense to use the exon-exon reads to quantify mature mRNAs. That is if you have sufficient number of exon-exon reads for the statistical analyses.. Interesting that you get more intronic reads in the FFPE samples, any ideas why?

Also I can mention that we have been working on a cytoplasmic RNA prep to enrich for mature mRNAs. We have seen that cyto-RNA gives much lower levels of intronic reads compared to both total and polyA+ RNA, so maybe that could be something for future experiments..

Cheers

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by JakobHedegaard View Post
              Hi Adam Ameur (and other readers of this thread),

Found this thread after reading your article (Ameur et al 2011).
              I am presently challenged with the analysis of RNA-Seq data from rRNA depleted total-RNA from paired fresh frozen and FFPE human tissues. As observed in other studies, I also finds a large fraction (40-60 %) of the reads mapping to intronic regions (80-90% for FFPE).
              To generate expression profiles of the mature transcripts (based on the exonic reads) I have been considering to correct the total exonic reads for reads mapping to pre-mature exonic regions (defined from the intronic reads). The reads mapping to exon-exon junctions could perhaps be used as an indicator of the true mature expression level?

Appreciate commnets.

Cheers,
              Jakob
              Your intronic reads were likely coming from those unspliced transcripts because you used total RNA for sequencing in your experiment. However, many of these intronic reads may not be useful because the corresponding intronic regions were spliced out and were not included in the mature RNA.

Comment

We are seeing a big difference according to the method of cell lysate storage and RNA isolation: With Qiazol and miRNeasy-performing RNA-Seq we get lots of intronic reads that looks very much like nascent transcripts (for a subset of genes) (See Bhatt et al., 2012, Cell 150, 279-290); Using RLT, gDNA eliminator and RNeasy-almost no intronic reads in the same genes.

It is most apparent in large genes with multiple exons and alternative splice options

Lynda

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses