Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Unique and Distinct K-mers mean?

Hello!

I am new to bioinformatics.I have generated the k-mers and unique k-mers from the reads.What does distinct k-mers mean and how it differ from unique k-mers.Can anyone help me clarify with an example pls.

Consider "AAAAAA". When counting 3-mers, there are 4 of them. But there is only one unique 3-mer: "AAA".

Comment

distinct k-mer

Thanks Brain!

But what is distinct k-mer mean?how it differ from unique k-mers.

Thanks,
      Elakkiya

Comment

Originally posted by Elakkiya View Post
        Thanks Brain!

But what is distinct k-mer mean?how it differ from unique k-mers.

Thanks,
        Elakkiya
        I don't use that term because I find it confusing. But I assume the authors mean, by "distinct kmers", the total number of counted kmers, whether unique or not. In my example, that would mean distinct kmers are 4 and unique kmers are 1. I discourage using the term "distinct kmers" since "distinct" is essentially synonymous with "unique", just less precise in this case. I suggest you call unique kmers "unique kmers". And I suggest you call the total number of kmers counted (whether unique or not) "total kmers" or "counted kmers" or "total kmers counted". But never call non-unique kmers "distinct kmers", since that's misleading. If two kmers are identical, nothing distinguishes them. Therefore, neither is unique from the other. And, by definition, they cannot be distinct while being identical. I'm not sure what software you are using that defines "unique kmers" and "distinct kmers" differently, but that definition is misleading and not useful.

I think that probably the authors think of what they call "distinct kmers" as "total kmers counted" and "unique kmers" as "unique kmers". But I suggest you contact them and inquire.
        Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 07-05-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the Clarification Brian!

I have contacted the author for the clarity.

They mentioned in the table: total k-mers,unique k-mers,distinct k-mers.By seeing that i got confused.Let us wait for the reply from the authors.

Thanks,
          Elakkiya

Comment

They mentioned in the table: total k-mers,unique k-mers,distinct k-mers.By seeing that i got confused.Let us wait for the reply from the authors.

Thanks,
            Elakkiya
            I can only think of two kmer counts... total, and unique. So, it seems like they may have a new category that I have not heard of, or there might be a misunderstanding. Please post the results of your investigation!

Comment

Thanks,
              Elakkiya
              I can only think of two kmer counts... total, and unique. So, it seems like they may have a new category that I have not heard of, or there might be a misunderstanding. Please post the results of your investigation!

Comment

Hi Brian

The author replies as
                "Distinct k-mers should be count of k-mers that occur at least once in reads/data".

k-mers: AAA, AAA, CCA, CCC, CCC, GGG, GGG, GGG, TTT
                total k-mers: 9x
                unique k-mers: 2x (CCA, TTT)
                distinct k-mers: 5x (AAA, CCA, CCC, GGG, TTT)

Thanks,
                Elakkiya

Comment

Oh, I see. I normally use the term "unique kmers" where he uses "distinct kmers", and "singleton kmers" or "depth-1 kmers" where he uses "unique kmers".

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses