No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too little reads mapped back to contigs using Bowtie

Hi,

I assembled Illumina 100bp reads with Velvet after quality trimming (so all the reads are pretty high quality). I used bowtie to map the reads back to the contigs using paired-end option with a maximum mismatch of 3.

Only 35% of the reads mapped to contigs no matter how large a insert size limit I set.
    I tried mapping the reads as single reads rather than paired-end and 50% reads mapped. This is still lower than the percentage of reads used to make the contigs.

What could be the problem with this mapping?
    Last edited by oliviaxinw; 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM.

Will I be better off mapping the reads not as read-pairs but as individual reads?
    Yes. At least then you should be able to tell if all of your reads do map.

Comment

I mapped read 1 as non-paired end reads and 50% read mapped to contigs. This is still less than the amount of reads that are used to make the contigs.

Comment

Originally posted by oliviaxinw View Post
        I mapped read 1 as non-paired end reads and 50% read mapped to contigs. This is still less than the amount of reads that are used to make the contigs.
        My gut feeling is that the k-mer size you chose to build your assembly is not efficient enough. Perhaps you should optimize your k-mer size to efficiently use most of your reads. Hope this helps....

Comment

Do you know how big the target genome was? What's the total size of your contigs? Maybe your assembly didn't cover the whole genome. Or it's possible that you sequenced a lot of reads from some kind of contaminant or artifact that won't map properly.

Have bowtie give you a file of reads that didn't map, then try two things:
          1) is there a lot of duplication in that file? eg, maybe most of the unmapped 50% is some artifact like adapter-dimers
          2) use blast on a subset of the unmapped reads to figure out whether this is a Bowtie problem (eg, indel in read prevents mapping) or whether the reads really have no overlap with your assembly.

Alex

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses