No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity RAM issue

Hi,

Having managed to whittle down my Illumina data to 31 million reads, I am trying to run Trinity with 16 CPUs and 16 gigabytes of RAM. Everything works fine until I get to Butterfly which seems to bog down the server so much so that I can't even connect in to check progress and end up having to kill the process.

Guessing that I don't have enough RAM. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work around this???

Thanks in advance

What is your Trinity command line?

Comment

For butterfly you’re going to have to drop the CPUs and RAM usage down from defaults or from what you set in other parts of the trinity run. You can control that with:

--bflyHeapSpaceMax
      --bflyCPU

You should probably just be running with two CPUs and 8GB of ram set as the bflyHeapSpaceMax

Comment

Thanks, will definitely give that a try. Probably a how long is a piece of string question but...how long do you think it will take to complete?

Comment

I really depends on the amount of reads you have. As an example, in my experience using the latest Trinity version, 1 billion reads took 6-7 days using 64 cores and 256G memory.

Comment

with only 2 cores running and 31M reads, hopefully run time is not much more than 24 hours.

Comment

OK, so running on 2 cores and it's run 0.8% of commands overnight. Guessing it may take a while Not sure there is a coffee break long enough for this run

Comment

You could drop the RAM usage for each butterfly run more to get 4 cores going instead of 2, but you’ll risk having a lot of jobs to rerun.

Why are you working with only 16GB of RAM but 16 cores? Is this a machine with DDR2 memory? Can you upgrade that RAM? A modern desktop should be able to get you up to 32 GB, and a relatively cheap workstation (i.e. $5000) will give you 16 cores and 128GB of RAM. If you’re going to be doing this much it would be worth it to get something modern or finding a cluster with something better.

Comment

Ah, just the usual academic institution tug of war between money needing to be spent to be able to do research and them wanting the work in already to justify it. This server was never supposed to be for assembly and they aren't necessarily willing to stump up the cash to add the RAM A month wait for their assembly should do the trick

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated it's at least running now, just going to take a wee while!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                    Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses